Jacobs is one of the world's largest and most diverse providers of professional technical services to industrial, commercial and government clients. With revenues approaching $11billion and approximately 60,000 employees across the globe, we are continuing to grow our business every year.
We are looking for talented people to join us across the UK and Ireland to continue our focus on building relationships and delighting our clients (90% of our business is repeat business). In return we have opportunities to work on unique and exciting projects, and a stable platform upon which to develop your career.
Jacobs has an enviable reputation in the Highways UK infrastructure consultancy sector as a result of a portfolio of high profile projects with clients that include Highways England (HE), Transport Scotland, Welsh Government, national and regional contractors and several significant Local Authorities. Our plans to add to this portfolio continue apace regionally and nationally.
Recent successes and key prospects include:
Delivery position on Highways England £1.5bn Smart Motorways Programme (3 commissions to date)
Framework contracts with local authorities including Birmingham City Council, West Midlands Highway Alliance and Warwickshire County Council
Highways England Roads Investment Strategy (appointed for three regions)
A40 D&B tender design is imminent
Junction designs for A465 Sections 5 and 6
Pipeline of small-medium D&B projects
Designs for windfarm access roads and local road junction improvements
We also provide professional services through our strategic alliance with Ringway Jacobs delivering to local authorities throughout England under long term contracts. This includes a range of schemes from minor municipal projects to major projects exceeding £100m.
As a Technical Director, you will have people management responsibilities and will be the lead on a diverse range of projects. Responsibilities will include:
- Leadership, growth and development of the regional highway team adding value to the established national and international capability;
- Preparation of proposals and designs at feasibility, optioneering, planning and detailed design stages;
- Identifying and leading on added value, sustainable engineering and Lean initiatives relating to Highways;
- Providing technical direction to design engineers, graduates and technicians;
- Liaison with clients, contractors and third parties;
- Interfacing with other Jacobs disciplines and offices such as Highway Structures, Technology, Geotechnical, Rail, Transport Planning, and Environmental;
- Resolving technical issues as they occur and monitoring progress in your areas of responsibility;
- Managing project delivery including financial management and monitoring;
- People/team management and local recruitment;
- Client Relationship Management at all levels in client organisations.
- A Bachelors or Masters degree in Civil Engineering;
- Chartered Member of ICE or equivalent;
- A leading approach to health and safety in all things
- Experience in the highways sector including the delivery of HE projects;
- Experience of liaising/negotiating with client representatives and staff at a senior level;
- Thorough understanding and practical application of the DMRB
- Good working knowledge of different contract types and procurement options including but not limited to NEC3.
- Able to produce well-presented and technically accurate reports;
- Workload and resource management skills;
- Capability to oversee tasks and costs and deliver programmed work on time and under budget including adoption of EVA techniques;
- Good IT and presentation skills;
- Experience of motivating and driving delivery teams;
- Confident with proven interpersonal and communication skills
- Capable of managing a challenging workload subject to change at short notice Experience of managing multi-disciplined projects being delivered by teams at various geographical locations both within the UK and overseas
- Strong evidence of Continued Professional Development within technical specialism.
- Experience and knowledge in the use of BIM for electronic storage and use of data
- Experience of ECI or Design and Build projects;
- Experience of construction supervision;
- Knowledge of HE CDF;
- Knowledge of local authority interfaces;
- PRINCE2 Accreditation;
- Recent experience of Highways England Major Projects;
- Health and Safety training in the infrastructure sector
We offer a competitive package which includes a Pension and Life Assurance Scheme and the opportunity to participate in our Flexible Benefits programme.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all