Jacobs is one of the World's largest and most diverse providers of professional, technical, management and construction services. We offer career opportunities across the world and across the spectrum - from planning and design to construction and operation.
Jacobs are seeking additional Gas Design Engineers (Engineer, Senior, Principal levels) to join our growing Energy team in our brand new Birmingham city centre office working on a diverse range of projects for a variety of established clients within the gas transmission and distribution sector.
An increase in workload from long term design frameworks means we are looking to recruit the right calibre of people to help deliver our interesting and challenging projects. Our range of projects includes the design of new gas pipelines, pipeline diversions, new pressure reduction and storage installations and modifications to existing installations. We also design offtake and entry connections to the gas transmission system.
As a Gas Design Engineer you will work with our project managers and other discipline engineers to deliver projects and to support development of talent within the team. Ideally you will have a gas engineering background and experience of working within a design team delivering feasibility, conceptual and detail designs. Confidence and a proactive approach combined with a flexible attitude to assignments are equally important as is the ability to communicate effectively.
Responsibilities are likely to include:
- Promotion of our BeyondZero philosophy with regards to safety;
- Technical design of gas engineering projects;
- Production of design calculations, reports, specifications and other technical documents;
- Material specifications, data sheets and take-offs;
- Coordinating the production of design drawings;
- Leading the design for small/medium projects;
- Liaising with clients, equipment suppliers and manufacturers;
- Supporting project managers and design discipline teams;
- Ensuring technical quality with the ability to deliver projects on time;
- Training, developing and mentoring of junior staff, including delegation of work and supervising its delivery.
- Incorporated Engineer status with IGEM or similar (candidates actively working towards this will also be considered);
- Demonstrable experience within the gas transmission and/or distribution sector (candidates without gas experience but from a process engineering background maybe considered);
- Experience working in a specialist engineering consultancy and/or equivalent
- Competent in the use and understanding of Industry and Client Specifications, Codes of Practice, Policies and Procedures;
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with clients, third parties, project managers and other design team members;
- Motivated and enthusiastic;
- Good communication skills;
- Responsibility for technical quality;
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project;
- Registered gas industry design Approver and/or Appraiser is desirable but not essential.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to the safety and well - being of all.