JACOBS is one of the worlds largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services. We offer a full-spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients across many sectors.
We are looking for talented people to join us across the UK and Ireland to continue our focus on building relationships and delighting our clients (90% of our business is repeat business). In return we have opportunities to work on unique and exciting projects, and a stable platform upon which to develop your career.
Jacobs has an enviable reputation in the UK consultancy sector as a result of a portfolio of high profile projects with clients that include the Highways Agency, National Contractors and Local Authorities. Our current portfolio of projects includes the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon Improvement, M25 J30 Improvement, M1 Junction 19 Upgrading, A160/A180 Improvement at Immingham, M6 J16-19 Managed Motorway, M6 to Heysham Link and numerous term contracts with local authorities. And our plans to add to this portfolio continue apace. So would you like to be a member of our infrastructure centre of excellence based in Birmingham?
We need a competent Bridge Engineer to join our established infrastructure team based in Birmingham will become a member of an expanding team of bridge engineers, taking an important role in delivering bridge design services throughout all stages of project development and in all areas of structures design.
The role will provide you with every opportunity to complete your training towards membership of a professional institution, including the support of experienced mentors. In addition we will support continued training through our unique PRISM programme and affiliation with ILX for Project Management training.
As a Bridge Engineer you will be working on a variety of project types, sizes and complexities. Responsibilities will include:
- Preparation of bridge and highway-related structural designs at concept, feasibility and detailed stages
- Preparation of outline drawings and detailed sketches of engineering solutions
- Providing technical direction to other junior engineers and/or technicians
- Preparation of contract documents, reports, calculations and drawings associated with the projects
- Liaison with Contractors, including Contractor Clients, clients Term Maintenance or Minor Works contractors
- Carrying out Principal, General & Special Inspections (including occasional night inspections)
- Preparation of Inspection reports
- Interfacing with other Jacobs engineering disciplines such as geotechnical, highways and environmental engineers
- Applying Jacobs Health and Safety, Quality, Environmental, Programming and Financial processes relating to the projects, in line with Management Procedures
We offer a competitive package which includes a Pension and Life Assurance Scheme and the opportunity to participate in our Flexible Benefits programme which offers up to 29 days holiday per annum and a range of additional benefits.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
- Degree in Civil Engineering
- Graduate Member of Institution of Civil or Structural Engineers with evidence of progression towards Chartered Engineer status
- Experience of current bridge design/assessment standards and best practice
- Conversant with current codes and standards, including Eurocodes and DMRB
- Experience of undertaking structural analysis, design and assessment in various material types, e.g. rc, timber, steel, brickwork/masonry
- Experience of design and assessment using software packages including MEXE, ARCHIE and SuperSTRESS
- Broad understanding of related engineering disciplines, e.g. geotechnical and highways
- Experience in CDM and Health and Safety matters, relating to working on highways and bridges
- Self-motivated and able to work with limited supervision
- Excellent written, verbal and listening skills
- Good IT skills
- Experience of ECI or Design and Build projects
- Experience of bridge inspections
- Proficient with use of AutoCAD
- Training or qualifications related to confined space access, railway access, working at height and/or over water