Jacobs employ some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 9,000 people in locations across the UK.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we're looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
We currently have an opportunity for a Principal Civil/Structural Engineer within our Civil/Structural design team based in Exeter with experience of working in the nuclear/defence industries to lead our technical delivery capability and to develop business relationships with our key clients. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Working in Nuclear and Defence in Exeter, you will be involved in delivering structural designs and analysis/assessment studies in a multi-discipline environment. The team includes a wealth of experience and expertise in seismic engineering, structural dynamics, finite element analysis and numerical modelling. Sharing of knowledge and learning of new skills is actively encouraged. Nuclear projects involve designing and assessing complex structures/systems to resist variable and dynamic effects from, for example, earthquakes, dropped loads and impacts, mechanical handling fault loads, explosions, extreme environmental loading and fire. This requires a fundamental understanding of engineering principles and the understanding of how structural/system performance contributes to the critical safety function of nuclear facilities.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Inter-discipline and inter-office project planning, delivery and financial performance
- Technical leadership, and quality and excellence of project deliverables
- Business development activities including business relationships with Clients, identifying work opportunities and managing delivery of proposals
- Technical and professional leadership, support and development of the team
- Adherence and contribution to business and quality management systems
- Design safety leadership, and developing good safety culture
- Recruitment and team development
- Broad experience in civil engineering design and construction, including design and assessment of nuclear safety related structures
- Good all-round technical design expertise using British and international standards, and/or Eurocodes
- Proven ability to manage projects and preparation of project deliverables, including managing quality, budget, programme and resources
- Good knowledge of health and safety legislation and good practice
- Good verbal and written communication, and report writing skills
- Proven ability in developing good working relationships with clients, and preparation of bids and proposals
- Proven leadership ability and ability to work as part of a team
- Experience of design and assessment of marine structures
- Experience of design and assessment of earthquake, blast, impact or soil-structure-interaction effects
- Experience of numerical analysis software
- Experience of producing safety case documentation
- Registered Supervising Civil Engineer
- Chartered member of the Institution of Civil Engineers or Institution of Structural Engineers
All staff are required to obtain SC level security clearance, and therefore must have been resident in the UK for the preceding 3 years.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.