Works to validate the models that guide our forward trading, portfolio management, and risk monitoring activities. Assist the desk manager in overseeing market risk of the hedge book by identifying market risks, analyzing quantifying risk levels and changes, ensuring that the business operates with predefined limits and communicating risk issues to the desk manager. This includes:
• Validate a representation of the entire company's commodity exposure on a daily basis reflecting current market conditions and operational realities
• Ensuring accurate inputs, verifying model output, reviewing and ensuring the accuracy of modeling new deals, working with a cross-function group to help update models and methods, etc.
• Overseeing the daily production of trading and risk reports
• Developing new models - and improving existing ones - to better represent energy markets, streamline operations, and model new types of transactions/ risks
• Providing explanations of the modeling and its results to front office traders, pricing analysts, portfolio management, and other risk groups
• Overseeing risk pricing methodologies
• Evaluating risk metrics
• Working with others to coordinate Risk IT initiatives
• Creating and interpreting risk reports used for board committee meetings and external disclosures
• Utilize daily position reports to validate, communicate and track the daily exposure of the company.
• Develop intimate knowledge of the energy industry, with emphasis on the physical operations of the respective regions.
• Asses risk and rewards of portfolios and strategies and work with the Commercial teams to optimize the ratio.
• Monitor compliance with risk limits, identify and communicate potential risk concentrations, limit exceedances and large exposures to Commercial and Risk management.
In addition, this role is also responsible for several other analytical tasks:
• Using quantitative methods to support and inform portfolio management decisions around product selection, potential asset purchases, risk impact of transactions, etc.
• Serving as internal consultants for other groups when products are difficult to value, oddly structured, or require sophisticated methods to accurately price
• Monitoring and responding to business needs by staying abreast of developments in the energy markets and within the organization and preemptively providing analysis/reports to meet those needs
• Four-year degree in business, economics, quantitative finance, mathematics, physics, engineering or equivalent quantitative disciplines
• At least 2 years of experience in a quantitative or financial valuation role
• Demonstrated career progression through increasing responsibilities and proven track record of success.
• Able to quickly master industry fundamental concepts including option valuation, deal evaluation, position management and hedging
• Familiarity with basic finance theory and pricing techniques
• Demonstrated ability to perform responsibilities under time pressure with a high degree of accuracy, to prioritize multiple tasks effectively, build consensus, and adapt to evolving business needs
• Strong quantitative skills
• Some exposure to programming languages
• Ability to link company strategy and the risk management implications
• Energy industry experience
• A motivated self starter and creative thinker with the ability to work independently and collaboratively with colleagues at all levels of the organization
• Driven to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external partners
• Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to discuss technical subjects with a wide variety of audiences
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Programming knowledge in MATLAB, C , SQL, VBA, etc.