Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. And we deliver some of the nation's cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, "Together, Building a Better California" is not just a slogan. It's the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services. They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
Information Systems Technology Services is a unified organization comprised of various departments which collaborate effectively in order to deliver high quality technology solutions.
An IT Project Manager leads a team that develops new applications, designs and installs new IT technical architecture and infrastructure systems, or enhances existing systems. Projects include the implementation of Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) applications as well as leading custom development projects. Project Managers are responsible for assembling the project team and using the provided cost and scheduling tools to define the scope, budget, and resource needs, and controlling other project variables. PMs also function as a liaison between IT and the Business Client, and act as the go-to person that represents the entire project from the planning through to the deployment stage. This position manages projects, or a portfolio of projects, between one and ten million dollars, or more, that typically span several years of effort.
The IT BT Energy Procurement team supports the Energy Procurement and Policy (EPP) Line of Business and manages all projects required to maintain compliance with the California Independent System Operator (CAISO), the California Public Utility Commission (CPUC), and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) in addition to all systems required for day to day operations of the EPP organization.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business, Engineering or equivalent required
Desired: • Advanced/Master's degree in Computer Science, Business, or equivalent
• 8 years of demonstrated project management experience including managing large complex IT product/software development cycles/projects. • Strong Project Financial Skills: Budgeting, Forecasting and Tracking of Actual Spent to low levels of Detail.
• Strong Interpersonal Skills.
• Experience working in PMO (Program Mgt Office) environment as Project Lead or Project Manager for highly complex projects.
• Knowledge of workforce planning, analytics theories, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques as needed to perform at the job level.
• Skill in facilitating discussions and meetings as needed to perform at the job level. • Competency in interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Products - for example Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access - as needed to perform at the job level.
• Skill in negotiating between stakeholders to reach an agreement.
• Ability to file, store, retrieve and maintain data stored on computers and databases as needed to perform at the job level.
• Competency in developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
• Competency in building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Competency in anticipating and adopting innovations in business-building digital and technology applications.
• Knowledge of risk and compliance assessment and management theories, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques as needed to perform at the job level.
• Ability to apply project management theories, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques as needed to perform at the job level.
• Competency in applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization goals.
• Strong Business knowledge of CAISO Energy Markets and working experience performing utility's Energy Procurement Front Office functions such as Forecasting, Bidding, and Portfolio Optimization and Back Office functions such as Settlements.
• Energy Procurement Domain experience in CAISO Energy Market Applications such as Forecasting and Bidding, Portfolio Optimization, and Settlements.
Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from Project Management Institute
Responsible for the concurrent management of one or more small to complex projects. These projects are one-time, multitask jobs that have clearly defined start and end dates, a specific scope of work, a budget, required resources, and a specified performance objective to be achieved. Responsible for understanding the impact of any regulatory changes (CAISO Initiatives), coordinating with business leadership and resources to develop implementation plans for all changes due to CAISO Initiatives, assisting with related business change management processes, being the single point of contact for the business resources, developing and delivering communications for business management, and working with IT teams to assess work load and resource requirements.
Specific responsibilities include:
This is an expert level IT project management position responsible for managing numerous complex programs/projects and/or novel assignments. Assignments are broad and highly complex, have major associated risks with high visibility, and can be sensitive or widely varied requiring expert judgment in applying and adapting project management techniques. Projects may span multiple lines of business and/or have significant dependencies on other major projects. These projects are one-time, multitask jobs that have clearly defined start and end dates, a specific scope of work, a budget, required resources, and a specified performance objective to be achieved. Specific responsibilities include:
• Responsible for leading one or more projects typically between $1,000,000 - $10,000,000 • Gathering, defining and documenting project requirements
• Clearly defining and communicating roles, responsibilities and expectations for all members of the project team
• Obtaining and defining staffing requirements and forming project teams • Independently planning all associated work to meet project goals
• Responsible for establishing Project Planning and Actual Orders and for tracking Actuals Spent by Project Initiative and Operative Date.
• Providing direction and leadership to project management analysts and schedulers
• Developing metrics, procedures, objectives and methods to assess project progress while utilizing established standards and quality objectives
• Conducting project kick-off meetings
• Communicating individual project roles and expectations
• Ensuring all project team members have the tools and training necessary to perform effectively
• Recording, tracking and communicating issues, risks, changes, and status reports within a PG&E standard tool • Accurately and consistently forecasting project resource, material and contract costs within a standard PG&E tool(s)
• Driving all project related tasks to completion
• Developing and Maintaining up-to-date detailed project schedules and work plans
• Monitoring critical project milestones, and identifying ways to resolve schedule issues
• Coordinating any required contract work within defined PG&E policy
• Conducting site visits as necessary
• Assessing project performance and implementing changes as necessary to ensure the projects remain within specified cost, schedule, scope and quality objectives
• Communicating status of all projects to stakeholders and management
• Developing and maintaining a productive working relationship with project sponsors, vendors and key clients
• Resolving problems of project specific scope within procedural guidelines
• Exercising independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance with moderate scope and complexity • Preparing all project documentation for closure, storage, and possible auditing activities, ensuring technical accuracy
• Functioning in a process oriented environment
• Completion of project artifact audits on time
• Independently plans work to meet broad objectives.
• Provides creative and innovative approaches to meet work plan objectives.
• Collaborates with others to develop goals that will achieve company strategy.
• Seeks guidance only on critical and politically sensitive issues.
• Works on complex problems having broad impact that require in depth analysis and judgment to obtain results or solutions.
• Acts as the primary contact for oversight and delivery of high risk project initiatives including project initiation, assembling multi-disciplinary project teams, defining scope, budget and resource needs and controlling project risks and variables.
• Leads the effort to identify, analyze and improve existing business processes within a department to meet new goals and objectives. • Communicates (oral and written) recommendations and findings internally and externally.
• Develops and implements guidelines and process documentation.