JACOBS is one of the world's largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services. We offer a full-spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients across many sectors.
Our UK buildings group is involved with an unusually diverse range of projects that include hi-tech, industrial, research, aviation, rail, education, infrastructure, and defence both within the UK and overseas. The group works closely with a range of in house services to bring a unique blend of technical excellence and truly single source capability to clients.
Our integrated design teams are shifting the emphasis of building design for our clients from a single discipline mind-set to one of fully integrated thinking; working enthusiastically and seamlessly across disciplines using BIM and other tools to deliver high value sustainable solutions.
Our exciting Winnersh team are growing and looking hoping to find a Principal Mechanical Engineer who is motivated by working on some of the most exciting projects in the industry and is keen to pass on their knowledge to more junior engineers.
We are looking for Principal engineers and designers who appreciate the benefits of multidisciplinary working and want to be part of an integrated design process. Our teams across the UK have vacancies for Principle engineers and designers willing to embrace the complete building design process and step outside the constraints of their own discipline to learn new skills and contribute holistically to the development of designs that exceed client expectations.
As a Principal Mechanical Engineer in the integrated design team, the candidate will be able to undertake design and specification of the range of Mechanical building services in a lead or supporting role depending on project complexity and scale. The Principal engineer should demonstrate a flexible approach to design and team working and will be involved with projects both local to the base office and other teams across the UK. Designing services within the integrated design team will involve the use of technical engineering software and proactive involvement with BIM models for projects. The engineer will be able to proactively collaborate with other members of the team and, working within defined project time and cost constraints, deliver innovative and sustainable best value solutions that exceed client requirements. The engineer will exercise technical and commercial judgement in delivering design work and ensure that Jacobs QA and Value Enhancing Practices are met throughout the design and construction phases. Specific responsibilities include:
- Design of HVAC and mechanical engineering services including heating, ventilation in air conditioning, domestic services and auxiliary systems, such as specialist pipes services (e.g. gases, etc.)
- Contribute to design projects across offices and internationally where required
- Application of industry standard design and calculation software incl IES or TAS and thermal modeling
- Liaising with clients, architects and other design team members.
- Preparation of reports, drawings and specifications
- Developing and maintaining excellent client relationships.
- Project management of suitable projects
- Manage other engineers and designers and helping to mentor graduate engineers.
- Monitoring and reporting progress against time and financial objectives
- Compliance with design and QA procedures
- Monitoring of installation works on site and observance of technical compliance and H&S matters
- Demonstrable experience of delivering a range of projects from concept through completion
- Able to design the range of building mechanical services
- Competent user of Microsoft Office software including Word and Excel
- Experience of NES specification software
- Competent user of discipline specific technical software including HEVACOMP, IES or similar
- Familiar with UK Building Regulations and design standards for discipline
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with clients, architects and other design team members and the Ability to represent Jacobs at external meetings and at presentations.
- Appreciation of capital and whole life cost
- Committed to sustainable design with knowledge of current techniques and technologies as applied to own discipline and wider building services
- Chartered Engineer status and full corporate membership of CIBSE
- A can do, hands on approach, able to work well under pressure and prioritise workload to meet project needs
- Willing and quick to adapt to project/team needs and learn from experience
- Able to communicate clearly in written, sketch and drawn forms to people at all levels
- A good team worker
- Flexible, adaptable and collaborative approach to multidisciplinary design, willing to engage across the design disciplines
- Organised and methodical but open minded approach to the design process
- Commercially aware
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.