Jacobs Technology provides overall management and implementation of ground systems capabilities, flight hardware processing and launch operations at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. These tasks will support the International Space Station, Ground Systems Development and Operations, and the Space Launch System, Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Launch Services programs.
The Safety Engineer will perform a variety of safety operations tasks in support of the Test and Operations Support Contract (TOSC) at Kennedy Space Center. The Safety Engineer supporting safety console completes complex assignments that will require analysis, interpretation of requirements, and presentation of analysis results and provide recommendations with supporting rationale to the test team, launch team and management. The Safety Engineer will support hazardous operations at KSC facilities including but not limited to cryogenic, hypergolic, explosive, high pressure, toxic, working at heights, and asphyxiate hazards.
Bachelor's degree in Safety, Occupational Health, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental or related field plus ten (10) to fourteen (14) years of progressive and relevant safety console and operations experience. Additional relevant education may be substituted for a portion of the experience.
- Analyze safety and reliability criteria in designs of system equipment and facilities to identify hazards and provide any hazard mitigations to eliminate or control residual risks
- Perform studies, analyses, and system interface assessments, as well as performance and coordination of analysis, testing and verification efforts.
- Develop and validate safety and reliability assessments and system assurance analyses including Fault Trees and Failure Modes and Effects Analyses
- Ensure compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and applicable consensus standards; Kennedy Space Center (KSC) requirements; State, Local and employer requirements
- Participate in project planning, design reviews, configuration control boards, readiness reviews and present results of analyses
- Support the development and maintenance of a database for identified hazards and risks throughout the life of the Program
- Provide guidance to operations as it applies to operational solutions to ensure safe work practices are implemented.
- Assist the SH&E office in the development of strategic planning activities to ensure that TOSC has identified an attainable path of improvement for reliability, safety, lessons learned, mission success and risk identification/reduction in support of flight/ground hardware and mission assurance
- Act as a mentor to employees, assist in procedure development, and review technical documents to ensure requirements are met.
- Follow the safe practices and rules contained in the Jacobs Corporate Safety and Health Plan and other such rules and practices;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Safety position to support various TOSC sites at KSC. Safety Console responsibilities include:
- Interprets federal, NASA and JSOG safety requirements and regulations, as they apply to TOSC operations, and implements policies and procedures to ensure that these operations are in compliance.
- Acts as focal point for mishap responses, emergency clearing of personnel, and coordinating with Test Team/Incident Commander.
- Monitors all hazardous operations to ensure compliance with safety requirements and providing test team with safety concurrence for hazardous operations.
- Investigates and provides technical solutions to compliance problems or questions/concerns received from within JSOG, from NASA, government regulatory agencies, etc. that are consistent with organizational objectives.
- Interacts with customers to resolve safety health and environmental issues.
- Tracks, monitors and reports on safety operations across internal customer groups.
- Review and approve Work Authorization Documents.
- Provides oversight of compliance with safety health and environmental requirements and company policy.
- Works with operations to ensure workplace conditions comply with all applicable federal, NASA and state occupational safety and health standards.
- Coordinates and assists in carrying out internal company safety audits.
- Competent in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Excellent problem solving, written and verbal communications and customer interface skills.
- Thorough understanding and broad application of occupational safety and health regulations, standards, principles, theories, and techniques.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a team environment.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects without missing deadlines or sacrificing accuracy.
- Must be self-motivated, demonstrate initiative, and be able to work independently or with minimal supervision.
- Work on other projects as assigned.
- Will be required to climb stairs in order to access equipment for trouble shooting.
- Will be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection and other associated personal protective equipment.
- Position may involve extended periods of sitting or standing.
- Physical requirements are: sitting, walking, standing, extensive use of stairs, and access to remote structures.
- Position is located on a hazardous testing facility; must be able to quickly evacuate buildings in the event of an emergency.
- Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the test complex.
- Position may require daily individual to travel to different areas on site.
- Walking on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations on the facility.
- Climbing ladders and platforms may be necessary.
- All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with NASA and Company
- safety standards.
Equipment and Machines
- Computers and printers used for producing reports and schedules.
- Variety of equipment used in testing.
- Full-time regular work hours between Monday-Friday.
- Position may require occasional overtime including weekend work depending on task.
- Must be dependable and punctual.
- Shift work may be required.
Other Essential Functions
- Must be able to accurately communicate ideas in writing and verbal communication.
- Must be able to travel to support position requirements. This may include travel to and from customer location, which may involve airline travel. In some cases, accommodations can be made for POV, if necessary.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- Must comply with all "drug free workplace" requirements as mandated by directives issued by the appropriate federal contracting officer and the company, which requires drug testing for use of illegal drugs by employees in sensitive positions.
- Government security clearance may be required in the future.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relations with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.