Our high growth and leadership position in the renewable energy business offers outstanding opportunities to individuals seeking an exciting work environment in one of the most important industries for the 21st century. First Solar is a leader in the development and manufacturing of thin film solar modules used in grid-connected solar power plants, as well as a provider of complete solar generation solutions for U.S. utilities. Our culture is one where teamwork, continuous improvement, achievement of results, and environmental responsibility are core values. We are seeking new associates who are motivated to contribute their talents to making cost-effective solar energy an important part of the world's energy mix.
Primary Job Functions:
Job Title: Country Manager, Project Development (Mexico)
Job Location: Mexico City
The Country Manager of Project Development for Mexico will be responsible for developing FSLR business in this market and executing a business plan to initiate and guide FSLR's energy business operations in Mexico. The incumbent will present a business plan for approval and then oversee its execution.
The business objective is to successfully develop power projects utilizing FSLR power systems or selling such systems and related services to third parties. FSLR market penetration objectives will be established during the business planning phase. The Country Manager will locally coordinate all critical FSLR pre- and post-development activities and functions.
The incumbent should have a strong background in project development, the energy industry, transaction structuring, financial markets and organizational leadership.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop the long term strategic plan for developing FSLR solar power projects in Mexico.
- Hire and lead a team of development and support professionals to execute the business plan and then track and report on key metrics to FSLR senior management.
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams within FSLR to execute the plan (i.e., project finance, project execution, legal, EPC, marketing, public / government affairs and accounting).
- Project Development (execute initially, oversee ultimately):
- Conclude development of existing portfolio of FSLR projects which are in an advanced stage of development.
- With FSLR upper management, establish annually priority greenfield sites for development, complete their development in the planned timeframe and pursue commercial solutions to convert the sites into feasible projects.
- Develop trusted professional relationships with customers and those entities influencing the buying decisions (including regulators, legislators, financiers and utilities).
- Deliver presentations to customers and FSLR senior staff.
- Speak and network at relevant industry and government-sponsored events.
- Work with applications group to tailor product offering to optimize deals.
- Resolve commercial matters and act as a first point of customer service.
- Create, manage and maintain annual bookings forecast.
- Asset Management (execute initially, oversee ultimately):
- Support and oversee the development of a local asset management function for all FSLR Mexico energy projects.
- Client Management:
- Monitor progress of projects and service agreements to ensure superior customer satisfaction and provide feedback to the various departments within FSLR.
- Attend project construction meetings, visit installations, review FSLR deliverables to customers.
- Develop a local customer service team or support capability for FSLR customer service function.
- Knowledge/technical proficiency:
- Project development including securing site control, permits, interconnection rights and power purchase agreements
- Business development, including customer development and account management
- Mexican electric sector regulatory system
- Structured transactions, partnerships, joint ventures, etc.
- Structuring and negotiating asset/product sale, EPC, O&M and financing agreements
- Financial markets participants, structures, pricing trends
- FSLR modules, system designs and technical performance & FSLR product advances
- FSLR competitor offerings (initial point of contact for competitive intelligence)
- Current in all customer, industry, government affairs and regulatory policy/news
- FSLR commercial/legal offerings
- Assist Marketing Communications (Marcom) and Technical Sales in the development of marketing collateral including press releases, articles and technical papers. Support press events and conference exhibit participation.
- In coordination with Project Finance, develop and maintain relationships with local and global investors and other sources of funding (e.g., Development banks, ExIm, other ECAs and agencies).
Lead a team of professionals varying in experience from analyst to senior manager. Team composition to be determined during business plan development. Ensure efficient process execution, assess and develop employees and coordinate/facilitate cross-functional interaction.
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution.
Master's Degree in business or engineering a plus.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Required: A minimum of 10 years of work experience in project development, with proven and effective people management and development skills.
Required: Experience in site procurement, power project development, energy contracts and other supply/sales agreements.
Required: Demonstrated success building and leading a new business, ideally at a multi-national corporation with a centralized organization design.
Required: Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel as well as Google Earth.
Preferred: Specific experience negotiating Power Purchase, Engineering Procurement & Construction and Operation & Maintenance agreements is a plus.
Preferred: Deep understanding of electricity markets and knowledge of Mexican electricity market and regulatory reforms.
LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS
Must be fluent in English and in Spanish.
Effectively present information to management peers and subordinates, as well as outside parties including other industry professionals and trade groups.
Communicate persuasively across functions and reporting lines to get strong internal support for Mexico initiatives.
Prepare written communications to a prescribed style and format.
Analyze and interpret business journals, financial reports, legal contracts and other documents as required to perform the job requirements.
Responding to common inquiries or complaints from customers, employees or regulatory agencies as necessary.
Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing business environment.
Persistent demeanor with a demonstrated ability to get things
Must be based in Mexico City and be able to travel frequently throughout Mexico and North America.
Power Project Development-
Bachelors (Required), Masters: Business Administration/Management, Masters: Engineering-
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.