We are seeking a Tax Planning Manager to join our team in the area of state income tax research and planning. Continued growth of our company coupled with a rapidly changing state tax landscape provide a great opportunity for a qualified candidate to join our team and play a key role in ensuring that NextEra remains on the cutting edge of state taxation.
The Tax Planning Manager will be the primary contact for state income tax support for NextEra Energy's Tax M&A team. Responsibilities include:
- Development and implementation of tax efficient M&A structuring initiatives.
- Identify and implement value added state income tax planning opportunities in support of the day to day operations of the organization.
- Participate in nationwide legislative monitoring efforts, including the identification, tracking and analysis of key state and local tax legislation.
- Identify and obtain state credits and incentives
- Other duties will include position documentation for FIN48 purposes, document and contract reviews for tax considerations and supporting various state and local tax audits.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate the following qualifications and attributes:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, a Master's degree is preferred; and a CPA or LLM is required. (Advanced degrees or certifications may subsitute for up to 2 years of experience.)
- A minimum 7 years of income tax experience including a minimum of 4 years of multi-state income tax experience.
- Proven ability to identify and implement state income tax planning opportunities.
- Strong technical knowledge in all areas of state income tax including apportionment, nexus, unitary relationships, and tax base issues.
- Advanced tax research skills with a high level of competency with tax research products.
- Ability to model state income tax impacts including both cash tax impacts and ASC740 impacts.
- Problem solver - Must demonstrate strong analytic and problem solving skills.
- Project management - Must be able to effectively initiate, manage, and complete projects that meet and exceed objectives.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
- Working knowledge of ASC740 income tax accounting.
- Accustomed to working in a team environment.
- Demonstrate a high level of engagement.
High School Grad / GED:Required;Bachelor's Degree:Required;Experience:7 years;