Support the NextEra Energy, Inc. (NEE) Compliance and Responsibility Organization's (CRO) Compliance Director in managing NEE's Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Commodity Futures & Trading Commission (CFTC and Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT) compliance activities. CRO's objective is to provide compliance oversight by working directly with NEE Federal Regulatory Affairs (FRA) attorneys and NEE operational business units to sustain and continuously improve NEE's culture of compliance. A successful candidate in this position will have opportunities for exposure with senior management across various business units throughout the company. This is a fast paced and innovative company where logical thinking, strong, effective communication, organizational skills and a passion for continuous improvement are keys to success. We are looking for a seasoned professional with public utility and merchant energy industry experience coupled with FERC regulatory compliance experience. Compliance Activities and Primary Job Functions: FERC, PUCT and CFTC Compliance Plans & Risk Assessments:
Business Unit Guidance:
- Maintain and update at least annually the FERC & PUCT Compliance Plans; the Business Unit Rules Applicability Matrix; Risk Assessments and the Roles and Responsibilities Matrix.
- Maintain risk assessments for CFTC Compliance
- Based on notification from FRA, provide timely and relevant communications to business units for new regulatory actions (e.g., orders, audits, proposed rules).
- Provide interpretive and timely guidance on an ad hoc basis to business unit questions based on knowledge of regulatory rules, NEE Policies in regard to such rules and an understanding of business unit operations, including energy trading.
- Update all annual training, including Standards of conduct, Affiliate rules, Anti Market Manipulation, Gas Transportation rules, PUCT Code of Conduct, ensuring the training is tailored to NEEs operations
- Present classroom training as applicable
- Review and classify new and transferred employees in accordance with regulatory rules and NEE polices for Guidance and Training purposes
- Assist business units in their development of processes and monitoring controls as needed for new regulations and new business initiatives
- Develop a Spot Check annual plan based on the risk assessments.
- Perform Spot Checks for higher risk monitoring controls, e.g. anti-market manipulation monitoring controls
Regulatory Audits and Requests for Information:
- Provide timely and relevant written quarterly reports to management as well as in compliance update meetings
- Oversee and coordinate external audits and regulatory or market monitor requests for information as they arise.
Bachelor's degree in a business related field is required. Five (5) or more years of relevant work experience is required. Master's degree is preferred.
- Ten (10) or more years of public utility and merchant energy industry experience in FERC regulatory compliance
- Risk Management Trading experience
- Fluency in computer skills (e.g. SharePoint)
- Seven (7) or more years of experience in project management and/or business process and controls
High School Grad / GED:Required;Bachelor's Degree:Required;Experience:5 years;