Performs precision machining operations on various manual and CNC shop machinery such as, but not limited to; vertical and horizontal milling machines, lathes, grinders, drill press, boring mills and band saws, CNC experience, CAD/CAM programming, machine set up, operate and troubleshoot. Performs precision dimensional inspections of mechanical components with high degree of accuracy. Assists in the shop overhaul and repair process of large mechanical components such as pumps, fans and gearboxes.
Additional responsibilities include, performing precision machining operations in the field on equipment too large or uneconomical to bring to the Machine Shop, using boring bars, tooling components, milling machines and drilling machines. Helps design and fabricate equipment and provide support for on-site machining operations. Fabricates precision replacement or repair parts for all types of power plant equipment from all types of metallic and plastic material working from blue prints, sketches, samples or other written or verbal instructions. Takes precision field measurements and prepares sketches for fabrications and repairs. Inspects and repairs steam turbine, gate, globe and control valves in the field and shop. Inspects contractors' work. Tests and inspects stationery and portable grinding wheels and drivers. Operates shop cranes. Drive forklift. Assist other maintenance and modifications crafts. Note: Exposed to heat, dirt, noise, confined spaces, and nuclear power plant environment. Frequently required to work overtime on short notice or may be required to work shift work to respond to emergent business needs. The individual should be self motivated with a strong work ethic. Attention to detail and quality are essential. The person should have pride in their work and be flexible to adapt to constantly changing priorities. Good understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerance of components. Understanding of shop math and trigonometry to set up machinery and check accuracy of work. Possess time management skills
Qualifications: Position Specifications:
- Requires high school education or equivalent.
- The candidate should have a minimum of 3 to 5 years experience setting up and programming CNC lathes and mills in addition to manual machining skills
- Successful completion of machinist apprenticeship preferred but not required.
- Satisfactory completion of the Maintenance Selection System
- Must meet requirements of NRC psychological testing regulations.
- Must satisfy General Orientation Training (GOT) to gain nuclear site access.
- Must satisfactorily complete radiation safety training, including respirator qualifications.
- Satisfactory results with respect to the background investigation
- Successfully complete the training requirements and time in job requirements for the position including previously passing the MASS test
- Valid driver's license and access to an insured vehicle
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to work in a power plant environment that includes climbing and walking long distances
- Good oral and written communication skills
- The incumbent in this position must be able to communicate across all levels of the organization.
Specific Location Information
This position will report to Fort Smallwood Shops location in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.