Primary Purpose of Position: Design and develop concepts, programs, services, user interfaces, and products such as mobile device applications, web-based platforms, and customer energy management programs and devices. Combine user research and ethnographic observation in a human-centered design approach that can be applied to a range of hardware, software, service and and organizational design challenges. Provides consultation and recommendations to organizations across the enterprise regarding design problems. Position may be required to work extended hours, including 24 x 7 coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct research using a variety of sources and techniques, including ethnographic research, to understand consumer needs across multiple customer segments related generally to electricity use. Develop problem/solution statements that clearly set forth the customer need and opportunities to meet that need in a more economical, efficiency, simple, convenient or timely way.
• Using the product of research, identify possible methods for meeting the customer needs identified. Develop initial designs and digital and physical prototypes to demonstrate the viability of potential solutions. Work with engineering, marketing, market research, finance and other affected organizations to evaluate the solution with respect to consumer usability and interest, cost, financial benefit if any, feasibility of production and other related factors.
• Develop minimum viable products/services/solutions that can be tested in limited market trials or pilots. Work with market research, marketing and other affected departments to design market trials to yield reliable estimates of the product/service/solution viability. Using the results of the market trials redesign products/services/solutions as appropriate.
• Research product/service/solution design trends across the utility industry and in other industries, and develop benchmarks to gauge the success of the enterprises design efforts relative to peers.
• Collaborate with individuals and organizations across Exelon Utilities and Exelon to improve the organization's capacity for design thinking and to support broader organizational product and service development initiatives.
• Develop the concepts for digital and manufactured products,services
• Combine art, business, and engineering to make products
• Focus on the human-centered design to create satisfying user experience with a service, product or solution
• Applies technical knowledge to help promote a safe work environment and to enhance customer satisfaction.
1. Bachelor degree in industrial design, engineering or architecture or art.
• Ability to apply human-centered design principles to development of concepts and designs for a wide range of service, product and solution design challenges, including digital and manufactured products and services
• Design and execute consumer-focused research to support product/service/solution design
• Improve the design, function, engineering and marketing goods and services
2. Five or more years of professional industrial design experience
3. General knowledge and experience with common design software such as Adobe Creative Suite,
4. Able to collaborate closely with multiple internal and external stakeholders and design for conflicting needs or perspectives, throughout an iterative design process, in order to develop products, services and experiences best-suited to ComEd
5. Able to analyze and synthesize vast amounts of data, both qualitative and quantitative, into meaningful frameworks and stories
6. Able to develop a business case for new products, services and experiences in addition to providing customer and design rationale
Able to translate and communicate complex or intangible ideas into a tangible, easily digestible and visually compelling manner.