In this high-impact role, you will have the overall responsibility for Contract Management for our Product Group High Voltage Cables (HVC) within our Business Unit Grid Systems, a worldwide leader in the execution of large and extremely complex projects for power transmission grids, high-voltage cable systems, and the related engineering, procurement and construction. As Senior Contract Manager for HVC, you will lead a team of Contract Managers and provide top-level contract management, especially on main risks and opportunities as well as claims strategy in close cooperation with the Legal Director for the global Product Group HVC, the Legal & Integrity department and to the Product Group management team. The position reports to the Global Contract Management Director for the BU Grid Systems. The possible locations for the role are Karlskrona or Västerås (Sweden).
CONTRACT PORTFOLIO GOVERNANCE
- Ensure that the portfolio of contracts follows contract and claim management methodologies in accordance with internal standard procedures.
- Establish highest-level contract strategy and drive the implementation of strategic contract opportunities; participate in contract negotiations and claim negotiations when needed and provide consideration and guidance on contractual aspects.
- Provide guidance and leadership on contract-related matters to cross-functional business team members; champion contract policy and procedure revision and improvement.
TENDER PREPARATION AND NEGOTIATIONS
- In support to the Legal team, provide resources for reviews and comments on some commercial, operational and technical tender T&Cs of main contracts.
- Support the development of the contract and execution strategy based on ABB's policies and customers' requirements taking into account risk, pricing, scope, and schedule.
CONTRACT EXECUTION (FROM PROJECT KICK-OFF TO PROJECT CLOSURE)
- Ensure the identification of contracts baselines (including terms and conditions, specifications, drawings, estimate, proposal, schedule and other documents incorporated in the contract) and highlight areas of risks and opportunities.
- Ensure timely and accurate execution of commercial aspects in portfolio of contracts (i.e. payments, claims, variation orders, warranties, provisions, guarantees, etc.).
- Ensure that for each project, contract and claim strategies are prepared, monitored and followed by the Contract Management in full coordination with the relevant Project Managers.
- Establish and enforce standard change methodologies in the contract portfolio to ensure that project changes are identified and additional time and compensation due to ABB per the contract are quantified.
- Define approval requirements and communicate changes to the customer.
- Enforce and defend ABB's contractual interests vis-à-vis customers and suppliers throughout the project lifecycle, including monitoring and assessment of changes and deviations, as well as defending and enforcing claims.
- In cooperation with the Legal team, develop the negotiation strategy, support negotiations, handle formal dispute resolution (mediation, litigation and arbitration).
- Notify and liaise with Legal to report major claims and keep the Legal department updated on any critical developments during project execution.
- Verify that all parties have fulfilled their contractual obligations.
- Document and communicate any deficiencies to all appropriate parties as part of the closeout process.
- Identify "lessons learned" and ensure communication to the projects team for current and future projects.
- Ensure that the Contract Management team analyses contract terms to highlight areas of potential opportunity and risk, such as ambiguities, omissions and conflicts, as work proceeds.
- Seeks advice from Legal to draft, negotiate and finalize agreements during the Project Execution phases.
- Ensure development and implementation of a risk mitigation and opportunity plan in cooperation with Project Management.
- Organise contract management support to the Supply Chain function, especially with respect to the drafting of PO/subcontracts commercial and technical T&D to protect the company's interests (including flow down of main contracts where applicable) as well as ensure risk and opportunities management under said subcontracts.
- Ensure that contract insurance provisions are adhered to; liaise with Insurance Risk Management regarding occurrences that may be covered by the customer or ABB's provided insurance.
- University degree in Engineering, Construction Management or Cost Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Business Administration or Law.
- Senior international Contract Management experience with at least 10 years' experience in the field of supply and EPC (engineering, procurement and construction) for industrial contracts, preferably in the field of power and automation, or related industries. Knowledge of Fidic, NEC3, Type contracts is highly desirable.
- Extensive experience in Contract drafting and high-level negotiations, as well as in major claim management and drafting, disputes resolution process and litigation (court procedure, DBA, arbitration).
- A wide breadth of knowledge in order to cover the whole spectrum of Contract Management issues that arise in commercial contract transactions: experience in project management, quantity surveying, planning is a strong plus. Some legal background is not strictly required but also an asset.
- Experience as a mediator is a plus.
- Excellent leadership skills, including management of personnel "solid line" as well as leading by influence and coordinating with PG Vice Presidents, Project Directors as well as external and in-house attorneys.
- Excellent English skills both orally and writing; other languages are a plus.