The Buildings & Infrastructure (B&I) Line of Business is a global network of approximately 11,500 employees, which serves both the private and public sector. Our employees work to shape the communities we live in by creating world-class projects that transform the future development patterns of those communities. We provide our clients award-winning planning, engineering, architectural and interior design, construction and program management, and design-build project delivery. The Jacobs business model allows us to successfully service our clients, leverage our integrated services, and provide our employees with growth opportunities while delivering global solutions to our client's local programs.
We consistently receive high rankings from Engineering News-Record (ENR) in many classifications, including the categories of Top Design Firms, Top Contractors, Top Green Buildings Design Firms, and Top Transportation Companies.
Our team is experiencing exciting growth within our established practice and we have a need for a new Construction Inspector to join our team. This person will inspect construction methods and workmanship to ensure that contractors build roadways, bridges, traffic signals and related highway structures in accordance with plans and specifications. Perform work related to transportation engineering activities such as laboratory tests, design data collection, construction record-keeping and traffic control inspection. Employee at this level performs work independently on assignments; however, all unusual issues are referred to the supervisor.
- Observe and inspect ongoing construction work.
- Review plans and specifications to ensure that work is in compliance with plans and specifications.
- Complete pay sheets for actual work completed.
- Conducts laboratory sampling.
- Inspect barricades and report deficiencies on inspection checklist to ensure compliance with barricade standards.
- Maintain a daily activity of work in progress and status of completion and discusses construction related problems with supervisor.
- Performs other job responsibilities as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required
- At least 10 years of experience in construction inspection for transportation projects is required.
- Required to have and maintain a satisfactory driving record
- Ability to move up to 50 pounds is required
- Ability to effectively follow instructions deal effectively with contractors and public.
- Ability to read and interpret roadway, structure, and bridge plans and specifications.
- Some knowledge of construction including material, methods, plans and specifications associated safety requirements.
- Perform calculations using algebra, trigonometry and geometry.
- Able and willing to work day or night shifts and/or flexible schedules including weekends as required to support the project requirements.
- Work under exposure to inclement weather conditions.
- Personal computers and applicable programs.
- Promotes and maintains a safe working environment
- VDOT certified or Mid Atlantic Regional Technician Certification Program (MARTCP) certified.
- Certificated for Erosion and Sediment Control Inspection, by the Department of Conservation and Recreation.
Expected VDOT Certifications:
- Soil and Aggregate Field Compaction
- Asphalt Field
- Hydraulic Cement Concrete Field
- Pavement Marking
- Flagger Certification
- Additional Expected Certifications:
- Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) Certification for Erosion and Sediment Control Inspection
- Work Zone Traffic Control Training (Intermediate Level)
- Nuclear Gauge Safety Training
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you'll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.
Note to Virginia Job Seekers: Jacobs ensures nondiscrimination and equal employment opportunity in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you need more information or special assistance for persons with disabilities or limited English proficiency, contact the Human Resources Director at our Arlington, VA office at xxxxxxx xxxxxxx. Persons with hearing-and speech-impairments can contact Jacobs by using the Virginia Relay Service, a toll-free telecommunication device for the deaf (TDD). Call 711 for TTY/TDD.