Jacobs serves the PharmaBio, Chemicals, Refining, Pulp & Paper, Power & Utilities, High Tech and Consumer Products Industries. Our core life sciences network has contributed to becoming the largest provider of engineering and construction services to pharmaceutical and biotechnology clients and we have established ourselves as the center of excellence for Pulp and Paper facilities. Jacobs provides full-service engineering, procurement, and construction management services for both new and existing facilities, offering environmental and water / wastewater support, energy audits, and hygienic / sanitary assessments. For projects of every scale we provide design, engineering, construction, commissioning, and maintenance services that support a facility's entire life cycle.
- The Structural Engineer will work on a variety of projects pertaining to industrial clients ranging from plant modifications to new facilities.
- All work will be performed under the general supervision of the Lead Engineer.
- The Structural Engineer will work alongside more experienced engineers and designers to perform a variety of analysis and other support tasks such as creating computer models for structures, performing calculations of section properties and weight take-offs, preparation of calculations, assisting with estimates, etc.
- The Structural Engineer will become familiar with project scopes, specifications and design criteria when assigned to a project team.
- The Structural Engineer will perform analysis of structures of various degrees of complexity commensurate with their level of experience. All designs will take into account Safety, Code requirements and constructability.
- The Structural Engineer will prepare plans, designs, calculations and cost estimates under the supervision of experienced engineers. The engineer will learn design and drafting standards as part of their efforts.
- The Structural Engineer will research code issues as they pertain to project related issues.
- The Structural Engineer will research design options and documents findings for Project Lead Engineers.
- The Structural Engineer will work alongside designers to develop conceptual layouts and cost studies as necessary to determine the simplest and most cost effective designs for clients.
- The Structural Engineer will work collaboratively with the CAD designers to provide build-able detailing for the project.
- The Structural Engineer will contribute to the preparation of engineering/analysis reports and other technically related documents.
- The Structural Engineer will liaise with other internal professionals and departments to gather information for projects.
- The Structural Engineer will attend design review meetings and interact with clients as his or her level of experience progresses.
- The Structural Engineer will coordinate with and provide information to the Department checker to help insure quality designs.
- The Structural Engineer will be expected to travel to job sites, client offices or other Jacob's offices to perform their duties as required.
- The Structural Engineer will be expected to perform all work to the best of their ability in an efficient manner without unnecessary errors.
Working within client facilities and at times within sister offices may be required. As such the Structural Engineer will be expected to travel to job sites, client offices or other Jacob's offices to perform their duties as necessary.
- The Structural Engineer will perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering is required
- Masters of Science in Civil Engineering is preferred
- All Engineers are encouraged to obtain Professional Registration (PE) immediately upon eligibility. An SE registration is preferred.
- This position normally requires a minimum of 2 to 3 years of relevant experience in structural engineering.
- Proficient in the use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Mail
- Working knowledge of CAD software such as AutoCad or Microstation or both
- Good listening, writing and communication skills
- Knowledge and application of ACI, AISC, and ASCE design standards and codes
- Knowledge and application of the International Building Code
- Theoretical knowledge and practical experience of structural engineering
- Working knowledge and practical experience of structural engineering computer programs such as Staad, Enercalc, PCA, etc.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the USA for any employer other than your current employer
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you'll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.