Jacobs employ some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 9,000 people in locations across the UK.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we're looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
Jacobs are a preferred partner for power and utility companies worldwide, as well as for private companies and public institutions serving their priorities for cost-effective, efficient, high-quality solutions as we support them in a vast range of energy projects. From power generation, energy integration, and heat recovery through to transmission and distribution, we build pilot facilities, Greenfield plants, and associated infrastructure, as well as assist our clients to expand capacity or extend the life of existing assets and plants.
Transmission & Distribution
Our gas and electricity clients are facing multi-faceted market conditions impacting their energy operations and networks. We partner with clients to help address growing demand for additional transmission path and distribution capacity, challenging regulatory requirements, and replacing damaged or aging infrastructure. We often provide this support through extensive capital works programs over several years; using collaborative work methods we deliver complete utility and infrastructure master planning and program management.
Our clients need all scales of refurbishment and new build projects. These gas and electrical projects range from above ground installations, transmission pipelines, gas storage, and offtake facilities through to high voltage overhead lines, high voltage cabling, transmission substations, switch rooms, and associated infrastructure. We plan, design, manage, construct and commission systems to meet our client's needs.
We currently have an opportunity for a Graduate Mechanical Engineer within our Energy team based in Birmingham. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
As Graduate Engineer you will be supporting the team with an increasing workload with Jacobs's key clients. Responsibilities associated with this post will include:
- Undertaking technical and feasibility studies and site investigations
- Developing detailed designs
- Identifying the potential health and safety hazards of specific projects
- Considering environmental constraints on specific projects
- Supporting tendering procedures and putting together proposals
- Supervising and visiting contractors on site and advising on civil engineering issues
- Communicating and liaising effectively with colleagues, contracting civil engineers, subcontractors, sub-consultants and clients
- Thinking both creatively and logically to resolve design and development problems
- Liaising with other teams of engineers, including engineers from other companies.
- Compiling and checking reports
- Reviewing and checking project drawings
- Using a range of design computer packages for designing projects and undertaking complex and repetitive calculations
- Scheduling material and equipment purchases and delivery
You will hold, or be working towards, an accredited BEng (Honours) or MEng in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) - 2(i) or above preferred. Relevant work experience would also be advantageous although not essential. We will also expect:
- Strong Mathematical Skills
- Strong Computer software skills
- Strong team working capabilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Focus on results and project delivery
- Previous work experience in an engineering organisation
- An interest in developing both technical and Project Management skills
Start your journey with Jacobs
As well as our accredited training programmes which will help you to achieve professional status, you will be supported by an experienced mentor to complete the Jacobs Graduate Development Programme (GDP). Working through a range of internal and external training courses, key skills will aid your development in all technical management and interpersonal skills required for success in a project focused environment. As well as development opportunities, we offer a range of benefits to complement a competitive salary:
- Salary increase for every GDP key skill completed on time
- An invitation to attend our residential 'Graduate Conference' weekend in the Lake District to meet Jacobs graduates from across the globe and members of senior management
- Paid holidays of up to 32 days; inclusive of national and public holidays
- A broad flexible benefits package including the option to buy additional holidays, travel insurance, contributory pension scheme and the cycle to work scheme
Join Jacobs. Imagine the possibilities...
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and well being of all.