Jacobs Technology provides overall management and implementation of ground systems capabilities, flight hardware processing and launch operations at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. These tasks will support the International Space Station, Ground Systems Development and Operations, and the Space Launch System, Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Launch Services programs.
Performs non-routine and complex assignments involving responsibility for planning and conducting a complete project of relatively limited scope or a portion of a larger and more diverse project, selects and adapts plans, techniques, designs, or layouts, contacts personnel in related activities to resolve problems and coordinate the work, reviews, analyzes, and integrates the technical work of others. Supervisor or professional engineer outlines objectives, requirements, and design approaches. Completed work is reviewed for technical adequacy and satisfaction of requirements. May train and be assisted by lower level technicians, and performs one or a combination of the following:
Qualifications: Two (2) years of college with mechanical, mathematics, or other related engineering courses, plus six (6) years of related experience or any equivalent combination of relevant education/experience for a total of eight (8) years.
- Designs, develops, and constructs major units, devices, or equipment; conducts tests or experiments; analyzes results and redesigns or modifies equipment to improve performance; and reports results.
- From general guidelines and specifications (e.g., size or weight requirements), develops designs for equipment without critical performance requirements that are difficult to satisfy such as engine parts, research instruments, or special purpose circuitry. Analyzes technical data to determine applicability to design problems; selects from several possible design layouts; calculates design data; and prepares layouts, detailed specifications, parts lists, estimates, procedures, etc. May check and analyze drawings or equipment to determine adequacy of drawings and design.
- Plans or assists in planning tests to evaluate equipment performance. Determines test requirements, equipment modification, and test procedures; conducts tests using all types of instruments; analyzes and evaluates test results, and prepares reports on findings and recommendations.
- Demonstrates extensive proficiency within expertise and ability to train less experienced technicians. As task team leader, oversees work of other technicians.
- Under direction of the engineering staff, applies engineering principles and theories in creating, testing, and modifying equipment such as machinery. Assists with the production of prototypes.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Preferred skill and experience with static and dynamic precision instruments and alignments using 3D measurement equipment. This includes but not limited to laser scanners, laser trackers, distometers, Faro Arm and electronic theodolites. Also should be proficient in the operation of the following analog optical tooling equipment: jig transits, optical sight levels and tooling bars.
- Must be able to provide technical support to engineers performing operations, research, design, development, testing, and manufacturing for process improvement.
- Work will pertain to electrical, electronic, or mechanical components or equipment with a practical knowledge of engineering.
- May require a practical knowledge of mathematics or computer science to assist with design, evaluation, and modification of machinery and equipment.
- Perform non-routine assignments of substantial variety and complexity to eliminate unusual technical system problems.
- Demonstrates intermediate level of proficiency to perform complex tasks without supervision.
- Technician classification shall be mechanical.
- Direct crew interface is preferred.
- Excellent communication, presentation and customer interface skills required.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Computer experience with Microsoft Office products, Internet browsers, and outlook.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, if necessary.
- Will be required to climb stairs in order to access equipment for trouble shooting.
- Will be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection and other associated personal protective equipment. Position may involve extended periods of sitting or standing.
- Physical requirements are: sitting, walking, standing, extensive use of stairs, and access to remote structures.
- Position is located on a hazardous testing facility; must be able to quickly evacuate buildings in the event of an emergency. Work Environment:
- Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the test complex.
- Position requires daily individual to travel to different areas on site.
- Walking on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations on the facility. Climbing ladders and platforms will be necessary.
- All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with NASA and Company safety standards. Equipment and Machines:
- Computers and printers used for producing reports and schedules.
- Variety of equipment used in testing. Attendance:
- Full-time regular work hours between Monday-Friday(excluding Saturday & Sunday).
- Must be dependable and punctual.
- Occasional overtime is required to meet demanding schedule.
- Shift work may be required. Other Essential Functions:
- Needs to have clear, concise, and accurate communication skills.
- Must have ability to work well with office staff and customer representatives.
- Government security clearance may be required in the future.
- Must be able to travel to support position requirements. This may include travel to and from customer location, which may involve airline travel. In some cases, accommodations can be made for POV, if necessary.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relations with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.