Responsible for completion of vehicle inspections and performing maintenance necessary to prepare vehicles for testing. Also performs necessary periodic maintenance on a variety of vehicles ranging from gas, diesel, or hybrid cars / pick-ups to class 8 trucks. May install or set up test equipment as required to meet current and future emissions testing requirements. Will perform fueling and de-fueling of vehicles. May provide vehicle preparation and driving tests in support of exhaust gas emissions testing. May require removal, rebuild, and installation of heavy duty engines. Will drive light and medium duty vehicles (license permitting) on public roads to facilitate vehicle delivery / pick-up and vehicle testing. Performs welding, fabrication, or modifications vehicle components as needed.Minimum of 6 years experience with proven skills in vehicle inspection / maintenance / testing of vehicles and or engines. Must be familiar with current vehicle emission control systems. Must have good oral and written communication skills. Must be able to be bonded as a notary public to sign documents associated with obtaining vehicles from the public for testing purposes. Vehicle testing background with instrumentation experience, CDL driver's license, and / or State or ASE Mechanic Certification is a plus. Metal fabrication and or welding experience desirable. Must have and maintain a valid driver's license. Must be able to drive all types of manual transmission vehicles.
Unusual or Special Physical Requirements of Position
% of Time
• PPE required includes safety glasses, safety shoes, gloves, lab coats, bump cap, and occasional hearing protection - 100%
• Lifting up to 50 pounds - 10%
• Climbing - 0%
• Crawling under vehicles to perform maintenance and / or equipment installation - 5%
• High noise level - 5%
Description of Work Environment
% of Time
• Inside facility - 50% ; Standard vehicle garage environment using hand / air powered tools, rotating equipment, vehicles moving in & out of area, vehicle wash / cleaning bay with slip hazards (fluid on floors)
• Driving consumer and customer vehicles on public roads - 50%
Equipment and Machines Involved in Work Tasks
% of Time
Equipment and Machines:
• Computer - 10%
• Copier - 5%
• Hand tools (air and manual) - 50%
• Powered industrial truck (vehicle mover) less than - 5%
• Vehicle hoists - 25%
• Welding - 5%
• Driving vehicles with varying types of automatic & manual transmissions - 50%
Criticality of Attendance
• Monday through Friday with occasional overtime which may include weekends as required?
• Regular attendance and punctuality is critical
• Primarily dayshift with flexibility to change hours or shift with notice
Other Essential Functions
• Must take and pass a drug test and background check.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
• Must possess a valid MI driver's license.
• Must be able to be certified as a notary public.
• Commercial Driver's License (CDL) and Motorcycle license is desired