Jacobs employ some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 9,000 people in locations across the UK.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we're looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
Jacobs are a preferred partner for power and utility companies worldwide, as well as for private companies and public institutions serving their priorities for cost-effective, efficient, high-quality solutions as we support them in a vast range of energy projects. From power generation, energy integration, and heat recovery through to transmission and distribution, we build pilot facilities, greenfield plants, and associated infrastructure, as well as assist our clients to expand capacity or extend the life of existing assets and plants.
Transmission & Distribution:
Our gas and electricity clients are facing multi-faceted market conditions impacting their energy operations and networks. We partner with clients to help address growing demand for additional transmission path and distribution capacity, challenging regulatory requirements, and replacing damaged or aging infrastructure. We often provide this support through extensive capital works programs over several years; using collaborative work methods we deliver complete utility and infrastructure master planning and program management.
Our clients need all scales of refurbishment and new build projects. These gas and electrical projects range from above ground installations, transmission pipelines, gas storage, and offtake facilities through to high voltage overhead lines, high voltage cabling, transmission substations, switch rooms, and associated infrastructure. We plan, design, manage, construct and commission systems to meet our clients needs.
We currently have an opportunity for a Principal Civil Engineer within our civil/structural design team based in Bristol. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
This is a key position which will suit a committed and ambitious engineer who can demonstrate strong technical, leadership and interpersonal skills combined with commercial awareness and the ability to play their part in growing a high performance team.
Essential Skills Required:
- MEng, BEng or equivalent accredited degree in Civil Engineering
- CEng or IEng registration is desirable (or in the process of progressing towards Professional Review, but additional relevant experience may be accepted in lieu
- Experience of Safety in Design and Designers responsibilities under the CDM regs
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with clients and other design team members
- Must be motivated to progress your own career as well as promoting Jacobs
- Good communication skills with experience in report writing and presentations
- Extensive post-graduate relevant experience of civil engineering design preferably but not essential on Energy and Infrastructure projects in Electricity and Gas Transmission and Distribution
- Experience in working with Eurocodes, British Standards and have knowledge of the guidance available from industry research bodies such as CIRIA, Concrete Council etc
- Experienced in the design, detailing and specification of Reinforced Concrete, Structural Steel and Masonry structures
- Experienced in the design of surface water drainage and oil containment provision
- Experienced in the scoping of and management of surveys and investigations
IT Skills Required:
- Thoroughly conversant with the use of civil and structural engineering software for analysis, design and integrated modelling
- Experienced in the development of and be able to interrogate spreadsheets for design and programming purposes
- Familiar with production of drawings using AutoCAD packages (not in a user capacity)
- Familiar with Building Information Modelling (BIM) and the software associated to make it achievable
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and well being of all.