Are you working in a position that involves direct, hands-on mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical experience? Or have you worked with the maintenance and service of wind turbines? Vestas has opportunities in our service technician group for you to further expand these capabilities in the wind industry. As a Service Technician at Vestas, the global leader in wind energy, you are part of the biggest team of service technicians in the world, servicing the biggest fleet of wind turbines.
Vestas American Wind Technology, Inc. - Service - US & Canada
The Service Technician role is to maintain and troubleshoot complex hydraulic and electrical controls circuits to maintain a wind turbine. The customer relies on our safe work practices, technical acumen, teamwork, leadership and fiscal stewardship to maintain the turbines in their best condition to generate power at the lowest overall cost.
- Responsible for the supervision and success of a team of Technicians under the guidance of a Site Manager physically located at the same site.
- Successfully meets / exceeds key objectives and performance in the areas of safety results and behavior, execution excellence, team alignment / engagement / motivation, customer loyalty and financial performance.
- Establishes a site team that models Vestas values and high standards of performance.
- Ensures that site level safety practices and protocol are in alignment with organizational standards and ensures compliance and optimal safety results. Helps champion the journey to an incident, injury and illness free environment. Maintains close partnership with the Health, Safety and Environment department.
- Supervises and provides direction/oversight to the assigned site Lead Technicians and Technicians.
- Provides support to the Site Manager with promoting a highly aligned, engaged and motivated organization that produces high-level results against Key Performance Indicators and operational objectives.
- Helps the Site Manager to achieve and sustain a culture of Execution Excellence (safety focus, structure, work discipline) and continuous improvement with the site organization to advance capability and performance in all operational areas.
- Utilizes Best Known Methods optimizing operational performance across regional sites. Supports a learning organization within the operation using Best Practices to maximize turbine equipment maintenance and performance.
- Support change management activity and initiatives within their team.
- Establishes and maintains highly effective relationships with the customer and internal partners. Pursues "ambassador" status with their customer and a site that is focused on customer loyalty excellence.
- Interacts with vendors for sites.
- Assists the Site Manager with the management, effectiveness and efficiency of site assets (vehicles, equipment, tools, office, etc.).
- May assist with the tracking of service activity, maintains records of billable, scheduled and unscheduled work. Ensures data submitted in SAP such as work hours, material movement and other critical data is accurate.
- Supports Site Manager with site activities to meet site and departmental objectives.
- Coaches and counsels employees as needed in regards to training, safety, performance, etc.
- Serves as liaison with corporate office regarding employee issues; directs employees to the appropriate corporate resources.
- Assists Site Manager with special projects such as annual budgets, performance appraisals, etc.
- Travels approximately 5% - 15% as needed to meet business needs.
- Associates degree or equivalent.
- One to two years' experience as project manager, project lead, or other management experience, preferably in a related service, industrial or manufacturing setting. Demonstrated ability to lead day-to-day operations with an hourly workforce.
- Two or more years' direct supervisory experience.
- Proven high standards and values.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability in coaching, mentoring, motivating and developing employees to achieve a highly aligned, motivated and engaged team. Effective change and conflict management. Proven decision making ability with balanced risk taking.
- Knowledge and experience with effective safety programs, practices and procedures.
- Highly self-driven, accountability and ownership. Functions effectively under pressure in environments of rapid change and conflicting demands. Enjoys multi-tasking.
- Continuous improvement and quality methodology skills. Effective issue resolution and structured problem solving.
- Technical background, hydraulic or rotating heavy equipment preferred; knowledge of technical drawings and schematics preferred. Ability to understand and utilize technical language.
- Experience scheduling, administering and managing projects to achieve successful outcome.
- Excellent English communications skills (verbal, active listening, written, meeting management, presentation).
- Valid driver's license, passport and ability to travel as needed to meet business objectives.
- Strong PC computer skills (MS Office) required, SAP knowledge highly preferred. MS Office - Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to stand and walk for prolonged periods of time, climb stairs, hearing ability to use close range radios, visual acuity including depth perception, field of vision and the ability to distinguish between colors, ability to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl as needed, as well as hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
- Ability to climb ladders to heights of 60 to 100 meters and supervise work in confined space environments.
- Ability to hold certification in required safety programs that include LOTO, Electrical, Fall Arrest & High Angle Emergency Decent, and Confined Space.
What We Offer
As a member of the Vestas team, we offer a competitive salary and one of the most comprehensive benefits plans in the industry. Among the many amenities we offer: fully-funded healthcare; vision; vacation and sick time; generous 401(k) plan; tuition assistance; and much more.
It is the policy of Vestas to afford equal employment opportunity without regard to age, race, religion, color, gender, or national origin, and to afford equal opportunity to veterans and individuals with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, provincial, or local law. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative within the People & Culture department.
This position is located in Carrol, IA.
WIND. IT MEANS THE WORLD TO US.
By joining Vestas, you join the only global energy company dedicated 100% to wind energy. Together with our customers, we have installed more the 51.000 turbines in over 70 countries, and we remain committed to increase that number via our superior, cost-effective wind technologies, products and services.
Since Vestas was founded in 1979, Vestas has achieved a market-leading position with more than 60 GW of installed wind turbines or around 19% of the total global capacity.
Every day, everyone at Vestas works to make Vestas the undisputed global wind leader and the world's energy mix more sustainable - join us, and be part of ensuring a sustainable future for our planet.