Are you working in a position that involves direct, hands-on mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical experience? Or have you worked with the maintenance and service of wind turbines? Vestas has an opportunity in our service technician positions for you to further expand these capabilities in the wind industry.
Service Technician I
Vestas American Wind Technology, Service - US& Canada
The Service Technician role is to maintain and troubleshoot complex hydraulic and electrical controls circuits to maintain a wind turbine. The customer relies on our safe work practices, technical acumen, teamwork, leadership and fiscal stewardship to maintain the turbines in their best condition to generate power at the lowest overall cost.
- Under direct supervision from higher level technical supervisory and/or management staff, the Technician I utilizes skills and training to perform maintenance and/or installation work on assigned wind turbines at a basic level. The Technician I will follow specific schedules and procedures including safety protocol, turbine service and/or installation processes, and other direct and detailed verbal and written instruction. The Technician I is regarded as the "entry-level" team member on the technician team and will have minimal customer interface.
- Closely adheres to all safety standards and procedures. Identifies risks and gaps in safety execution in the operational environment and either stops work / escalates or implements defined and appropriate mitigation methods with appropriate oversight. Demonstrates risk-averse safety behavior at all times. Provides recommendations to higher level technical staff and management regarding everything safety. Encourages and recognizes others completing safe acts and intervenes when unsafe acts are practiced.
- Demonstrates integrity, strong initiative, work ethic, as well as a focus on safety and quality of work on a continuous basis.
- Performs basic level wind turbine service and/or installation tasks as assigned. This includes introductory operation and use of tools and basic turbine equipment. Documents tasks where required and enters data into the company information system (e.g. SAP).
- Effectively gathers information regarding equipment (e.g. turbine) status. Seeks assistance when encountering turbine issues outside trained skill level to ensure success in execution.
- Follows defined instructions and maintenance schedules, executing plans as directed and performs according to reasonably detailed written and verbal instructions.
- Effectively contributes to a strong team environment through assisting team mates in accomplishing mutual goals, supporting and promoting team spirit and cooperation.
- Proactively looks for improvement opportunities to job related processes and procedures and communicates through appropriate channels.
- Interfaces with customer at a minimal level; may respond to some basic customer inquiries and will refer most customer inquiries to higher level technical staff or manager. Demonstrates strong customer focus at all times.
- This role will require travel, working overtime, including working a flexible and variable work schedule as needed to meet business objectives.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum one (1) years' experience working with hydraulic, electrical, mechanical and/or composite skills OR in absence of experience, a certificate of completion from an accepted Wind Technician program of equivalent scope.
- Ability to demonstrate basic industrial safety practices / protocols including LOTO and Test-Verify-Test.
- Experience using basic power and hydraulic tools.
- Valid Driver's License and ability to obtain a Passport.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to follow directions with precise execution.
- Good interpersonal and customer relation skills.
- Able to effectively collaborate with employees at all professional levels and ability to respectfully follow supervision.
- Basic computer operation skills and familiarity with internet based program navigation.
- Ability to read, interpret and understand basic drawings and schematics.
What we offer
As a member of the Vestas team, we offer a competitive salary and one of the most comprehensive benefits plans in the industry. Among the many amenities we offer: fully funded healthcare; dental; vision; vacation and sick time; generous 401(k) plan; tuition assistance; and much more.
It is the policy of Vestas to afford equal employment opportunity without regard to age, race, religion, color, gender, or national origin, and to afford equal opportunity to veterans and individuals with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, provincial, or local law. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative within the People & Culture department.
This position is located in Carrol, IA.
WIND. IT MEANS THE WORLD TO US.
By joining Vestas, you join the only global energy company dedicated 100% to wind energy. Together with our customers, we have installed more than 50.000 turbines in over 70 countries, and we remain committed to increase that number via our superior, cost-effective wind technologies, products and services.
Since Vestas was founded in 1979, Vestas' persistent work within wind has resulted in a market-leading position with more than 58 GW of installed wind turbines or around 19% of total global capacity.
Every day, everyone at Vestas works on bringing wind on par with oil and gas and meeting the growing demand for electricity - join us, and be part of ensuring a sustainable future for our planet.