JACOBS is one of the world's largest and most diverse providers of professional, technical and construction services.
In the UK we have built enviable reputation in the highways consultancy sector. As a leading service provider in the market Jacobs leads projects at all stages from initial conception through to maintenance for a wide range of clients. The focus of the market is rapidly changing towards the delivery of business critical technology and Urban Traffic Signal Design / Smart Cities and we currently have opportunities to support our projects in Manchester, Birmingham and Shrewsbury.
Jacobs is looking to appoint a Senior traffic signal engineer responsible for undertaking all aspects of traffic signal design, from inception through to operation.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience in the field of traffic signal design, implementation and/or operation and will have achieved or working towards incorporated or chartered engineer status.
Responsible for undertaking and developing schemes both in the UK and overseas, the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills and a strong awareness of CDM and health and safety issues.
Locally managed from either our Birmingham, Manchester or Shrewsbury office but working as part of a successful UK wide traffic signals team. Key Responsibilities
- Undertake and review traffic signal schemes from inception to operation, including site surveys, Traffic Signal health checks, design, installation, FAT, SAT and validation
- Manage your own projects to ensure delivery to budget, time and quality
- Creates new client relationships and assist with developing the wider ITS team
- Cultivates and manages clients who have an impact on the business
- Identification and development of road network improvements
- Identification and development of added value in existing projects
- Authoring and reviewing technical reports
- Preparation of cost estimates and development of briefs
- Proven experience of traffic signal design
- In depth knowledge and capability in the use LINSIG software
- Proven experience in the design, operation, configuration and validation of UTC/SCOOT
- In depth experience of traffic signal controller operation, TR2500 form and/or configuration writing
- Proven experience of FAT and SAT
- Good experience of MOVA design, configuration and validation
- Capable of developing effective client and team relationships
- Familiar with a wide range of ITS technologies, including UTMC, journey time measurement, VMS, CCTV, RTPI
- Proven project management skills, including ability to manage multiple projects for various clients
- Excellent problem solving skills and able to develop new and innovative ideas / solutions
- Experience in Business and commercial development
- Strong awareness of Health and Safety issues and CDM
- Willing to travel / work in various locations in the UK and abroad when appropriate
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
- Project management experience and qualifications (eg PRINCE2)
- Asset management/maintenance experience
- Programme experience
- Traffic modelling experience, Junctions 9 or similar
- Experience of design or operation of other ITS infrastructure
- Professionally qualified or working towards IENG / CENG
- Expert technical knowledge concerned within own business area
- Understanding of large scale project management processes
- Detailed wide knowledge of contractual issues
- Capable of managing a challenging workload subject to change at short notice
- Experience of handling financial systems would be an advantage
- Hold a UK Driving Licence
- A proactive approach to self-development.