Battery Lab Test Engineer is responsible for supporting the Design Verification (DV) physical testing, and certification of traction battery pack systems for hybrid and electric vehicles. You work hand-in-hand with test and design engineers to support the company's product testing needs to support execution of functional, safety, and thermal performance tests on battery pack systems. You will be required to become proficient in test site installation, equipment/instrumentation connection, proper functional verification of test set-up, and start-up of the site automation system (Lynx). Becoming safety certified to perform high voltage electrical and mechanical tests is required upon start-up.
- Provide engineering support for existing electrical test facility
- Work with electrical program teams to ensure facility is capable for future testing
- Work with engineering and program teams to automate existing and future testing capabilities
- Development of test systems with efficient timing and 100% issue/error detection (product or test execution related) with an emphasis on Full Automation / Requester Not Present
- Perform data analysis, generating comprehensive technical reports
- Lead/Support the creation/publication of standardized test methods
- Configuring/Operating/Programming Lynx site automation systems and supplemental site controls and I/O to achieve fully automated testing and 100% error detection/response
- Reviewing and sign-off of test setups for accuracy and safety
- Analyzing test data for performance/execution issues; develop detection strategies for issues not captured by the site control system; facilitate data delivery to customer
- Providing direction to Test Technicians to aid in the performance of DV testing
- Translating test request requirements into lab executable instructions / test plans
- Assisting technicians in the day-to-day execution of testing
- Leading test site troubleshooting efforts
- Developing test equipment / facility upgrade capital project proposals
- Authoring specification and statement of work documents
- Building financial and business rationale, obtaining cost estimates
- Developing project timing plans and
- Managing capital projects, including tracking and managing cost, timing, and equipment installations, leading activities with equipment vendors and skilled trades, and coordinating with Lab Scheduling
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering with battery laboratory test experience
- An understanding of vehicle powertrain, power supply, and vehicle electrical system operation with an emphasis on High Voltage / HEV / BEV applications
- Knowledge of data collection and communication systems and their operation (Knowledge of AVL Lynx and CAN/Ethernet Communication protocol a plus)
- A working knowledge of instrumentation measurement systems, particularly transducers and their operation - temperature, pressure, fluid flow, et al.
- Demonstrated leadership behaviors and related experience
- Strong teamwork, analytical, oral, and written skills
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks, and adjust to changing requirements
- High energy, self-starter, with ability and desire to take responsibility and deliver results with minimal supervision.
- Ability and courage to effectively communicate key issues and recommendations to senior management
- Ability to work within diverse environments
- High integrity with good attitude
Lifting less than 50 lbs. - 25%
Special clothing/equipment - PPE (Safety glasses, slip resistant/steel toed shoes, gloves, hearing protection in designated areas), - 100%
Exposure to high noise areas possible in test facility - 25%
Sitting (75%), Standing (50%), Bending (25%), stooping (25%)
Inside, office environment, test lab - 100%
Exposure to test equipment - 25%
May require occasional local travel - 25%
Equipment and Machines
Computers, fax machines, copiers, telephones - 100%
Occasional use of hand tools - 25%
Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. - 100%
Necessity for regular attendance and urgency for punctuality are critical
Work hours are normally 8 hours per day and 5 days per week, Monday-Friday. Regular attendance of scheduled hours is extremely important. Punctuality and regular attendance are necessary. Must have the flexibility of work days to cover weekend testing requirements.
Other Essential Functions
Must demonstrate professional behavior at all times when dealing with customers, management and co-workers. Must have clear, concise and accurate communications skills in English, both verbal and written. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk to self or others. Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a professional manner. Dependable personal transportation to work site is required.
Must complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen, health performance evaluation, and background check.