Jacobs is one of the world's largest and most diverse providers of professional technical services to industrial, commercial and government clients. With revenues approaching $12billion and approximately 60,000 employees across the globe, we are continuing to grow our business every year.
We are looking for talented people to join us across the UK and Ireland to continue our focus on building relationships and delighting our clients (90% of our business is repeat business). In return we have opportunities to work on unique and exciting projects, and a stable platform upon which to develop your career.
Jacobs has an enviable reputation in the Highways UK consultancy sector as a result of a portfolio of high profile projects with clients that include the Highways England (HE), Transport Scotland, Welsh Government, National Contractors and numerous Local Authorities. Our plans to add to this portfolio continue apace regionally and nationally.
We are wishing to recruit an experienced Principal Bridge Engineer to join our established bridges design team. You will become a member of a large and expanding team, taking a leading role in delivering bridge design services throughout all stages of major project development and in all areas of structures design.
As a Principal Bridge Engineer you will be working on a variety of project types, sizes and complexities. Responsibilities will include:
- Preparation of bridge and bridge related structural scheme designs at feasibility, optioneering and detailed design stages, both for new build and modification to existing structures
- Providing technical direction to other design engineers and/or technicians
- Liaison with clients, contractors and third parties
- Interfacing with other Jacobs engineering disciplines such as geotechnical, highways, railways, coastal & marine, and environmental engineers
- You will be responsible for resolving technical issues as they occur and for the monitoring of progress of your areas of responsibility
- Organising and carrying out General, Principal & Special Bridge Inspections
- Preparation of contract documents and fee estimates
- A degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Chartered Member of ICE or equivalent
- Extensive experience in the highway bridges or railway bridges sector
- Excellent understanding of structural behaviour and detailed knowledge of current codes and standards, including Eurocodes, DMRB, SHW, and Network Rail standards
- Excellent capability of design analysis and assessment of structures using LUSAS or Midas, SuperSTRESS, Archie, MEXE, etc.
- Experience of liaising and negotiating with client representatives and senior staff
- Thorough understanding of the Specification for Highway Works
- Able to produce well-presented and accurate drawings and reports
- Able to manage a challenging workload subject to change at short notice
- Capability to manage tasks and costs; and deliver programmed work on time and under budget
- Good IT skills
- Experience of motivating and driving delivery teams
- Confident with proven interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience of ECI or Design and Build projects
- Experience of construction supervision
- Good working knowledge of different contract types and procurement options.
- Knowledge of local authority interfaces
Health and Safety training in the Bridges Sector
We offer a competitive package which includes a Pension and Life Assurance Scheme and the opportunity to participate in our Flexible Benefits programme.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all