Our ever growing Rail Group is expanding.
JACOBS is one of the world's largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services, offering a full spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients - from planning & design to construction & operation.
As one of the key members of the rail team, you will play a key role in the delivery of major projects.
We are looking for a Technical Director for our Telecomms team with experience of working in the rail sector.
The UK rail sector is very buoyant with the government having funded major upgrade and renewals programmes worth multi billions of pounds over the next five years on the underground and mainline rail which we are currently delivering.
We have over 520 staff in multiple offices across the UK including London, Reading, Birmingham, Glasgow, York and Derby. We are looking to expand our teams by up to 50 experienced staff across our offices to work on these exciting projects and can offer you a career supporting one or more of these projects.
As Technical Director in the integrated design team, the candidate will be able to undertake design and specification of the range of telecommunication engineering services in a lead role on a range of projects taking technical and financial responsibilities for project performance.
The TD will have a key leadership role within our integrated design team. The TD should demonstrate a flexible approach to design and team working and will be involved with projects both local to the base office and other teams across the UK. Designing telecomms solutions within the integrated design team will involve the use of technical engineering software and proactive involvement.
The TD will be able to proactively collaborate with other members of the team and, working within defined project time and cost constraints, deliver innovative and sustainable best value solutions that exceed client requirements. The engineer will exercise technical and commercial judgement in delivering design work and ensure that Jacobs QA and Value Enhancing Practices are met.
This is a key position within our UK Telecoms engineering team which and we are looking for someone who can demonstrate strong leadership and interpersonal skills combined with commercial awareness and the ability to play their part in growing a dynamic high performance team.
- To supervise and check the work of junior staff and to take part in the professional development of those staff.
- When required, to undertake the roles of Contractors Responsible Engineer, Task Manager, Designer, Checker or Approver for all various types of design.
- To undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within the Jobholder's ability and competence. To work at any position within a project team to achieve the project objectives.
- To supervise and check the work of junior staff.
- When required, to undertake the role of Task Manager, Designer or Checker as required in the design processes.
- Conceptual and outline and detailed design of engineering solutions, presentation of engineering options
- Preparation and checking of feasibility studies, technical reports and other written documents.
- Design and checking of Operational Telecoms systems that include:
- SPT allocation
- PZT allocation
- Jumper schedules
- Telephone Concentrator Systems
- Copper Cable Networks
- Fibre Optic Networks
- PDH Networks
- SDH Networks
- Radio Systems including GSM-R
- Immunisation, earthing and bonding (EMC)
- Design and checking of SISS systems that include:
- CCTV Systems (Analogue and Digital)
- Public Address/LLPA/PAVA Systems
- Customer Information Systems
- Ticket Vending machines
- Help Points
- Design and checking of other Telecoms systems including:
- Structured Cabling Telephone Systems (Analogue/Digital and VOIP)
- IEng is desirable (or working towards CEng)
- BEng or equivalent or HNC/HND
- IRSE Telecoms Design License
- Experience in Telecoms design preferably in Railway applications, including Operational Systems, Station Information and Security Systems (SISS). Working knowledge of European, British and Railway standards would be desirable
- The Jobholder should be thoroughly conversant with the use of MS Office suite, Project Management software is desirable but not essential (P3, Suretrack or MS Project). An understanding of the development of Spread sheets is essential. The Jobholder should also be familiar with production of drawings using Microstation CAD package
- Production of design concepts, drawings, specifications and other technical documents.
- Management of teams of engineers and external suppliers.
- Delivery of work to programme, budget and specification.
- Training and development, mentoring of junior staff.
- Planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances.
- Client and third party liaison.
- Knowledge of CDM and other Health and Safety legislation
- Have had experience in a Telecommunications Network Rail approved CRE Role
- Responsible for the application of Safe by Design culture within the CRE's discipline, and in particular, reviewing and approving the hazard mitigations developed by the design teams.
- Familiar with NR and/or LU standards.
- Familiar with GRIP and/or RIBA design processes.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunities employee and is committed to the safety and well being of all.