Jacobs Technology is the advanced technology division of Jacobs Engineering, one of the nation's largest engineering and technical services-only companies. Jacobs is the world's top supplier of automotive test facilities, providing a full range of services to commercial automotive industry customers. Customers include not only the world's major vehicle providers and other original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), but also clients from the international motorsports community Our experience encompasses virtually every type of automotive test facility, including climatic and driveability wind tunnels; aerodynamic, acoustic, and thermodynamic wind tunnels; emissions test rooms; soak rooms; altitude chambers; engine and powertrain test cells; and electromagnetic anechoic chambers. We not only design and build these facility systems assets but also operate, maintain, and manage these facilities.
An Axle and Transmission Development Laboratory (ATDL) Test Engineer is responsible for designing, delivering, and directing test systems to satisfy Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV) and Transmission and Driveline Engineering (TDE) Design Verification requirements in support of all GPDS milestones and sign-off requirements. You work hand-in-hand with Ford D&R and CAE engineers, along with test equipment vendors, to support the company's product testing needs. This broad responsibility provides the ability for the engineer to develop and implement a wide product testing skill set.
- Develop and execute Transmission/Drivetrain Design Verification (DV) testing processes
- Develop, procure, and install new test equipment systems to support DV requirements
- Operating ATI/ETAS systems
- Extracting and analyzing fault codes
- Analyzing Transmission calibration and data files
- Providing direction to Test Technicians to aid in the performance of DV testing
- Translating test request requirements into written test request manuals
- Assisting technicians in the day-to-day execution of testing
- Leading test site troubleshooting efforts
- Working with D&R engineers to develop and refine DV test methods
Facility Planning and Process Development
- Optimizing existing test processes and methods to achieve BIC efficiency and quality, including converting existing processes to automated (unmanned) operation
- Developing capital test equipment projects
- Formulating new testing methods
- Authoring specification and statement of work documents
- Building financial and business rationale, obtaining cost estimates
- Developing project timing plans
- Managing test equipment projects, including tracking and managing cost, timing, and equipment installations, and leading activities with equipment vendors and skilled trades
- Working with existing test system software to develop test processes and programs to satisfy DV testing needs, following Ford Corporate Test Procedures and custom test requirements
Managing test data, including QC'ing of data, and assisting test customers with the delivery and analysis of data
• B.S. in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, test laboratory experience a plus
• An understanding of vehicle driveline system operation
• A working knowledge of data collection and communication systems and their operation, such as:
• A working knowledge of instrumentation measurement systems, particularly transducers and their operation - temperature, acceleration, pressure, fluid flow.
• The ability to work independently, and with schedule flexibility
• Strong analytical, oral, and written skills
MS Office skills required, LABVIEW or basic computer programming skills a plus
Inside, office environment, test lab - 100%
PPE equipment where required
Lifting - Up to 50lbs lifted vertically from knee to waist height- 25%
Special clothing/equipment - PPE (safety glasses, slip resistant hardened toe shoes, hearing protection in designated areas) - 100%
Sitting (75%), Standing (50%), Bending (25%), stooping (25%), frequently walking up and down stairs (1 hour)
Audiogram required (TWA over 85 dB)
Equipment and Machines
Computers, telephones - 100%
Air driven sockets, basic hand tools- 25%
Monday through Friday.
Day shift but shift assignment is subject to change, so candidate must be flexible with available hours
Occasional overtime may be needed- 10%
Attendance and punctuality are critical - 100%
Other Essential Functions
Must complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen, health performance evaluation, and background check.
Must demonstrate professional behavior at all times when dealing with customers, management and co-workers. Must have clear, concise and accurate communications skills in English, both verbal and written. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk to self or others. Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a professional manner. Dependable personal transportation to work site is required.