Jacobs Technology is an international supplier of automotive and aerospace test facilities. Our offices are located in Bingham Farms Michigan (Detroit), Tullahoma Tennessee, and Munich Germany.
Jacobs is seeking a Structural Engineering Co-op to assist in the structural design of these test facilities. The successful candidate will work in a project team environment to develop custom designs to satisfy customer requirements. Typical projects include wind tunnels and support equipment, rocket and jet engine test stands, automotive test cells, and other unique systems.
We are looking for a creative individual with a basic understanding of structural analysis and design, steel and concrete design, computer applications, statics, and strength of materials Must have competed at least 2 years in an accredited civil engineering program Student should have an interest in specializing in structural engineering upon graduation Minimum GPA 3.0 Some experience with finite element analysis (FEA) is preferred
- Perform a variety of routine engineering tasks under the direction of an experienced engineer to provide experience and familiarization with engineering methods, practices, and programs
- Perform limited portions of larger more complex engineering tasks under the direction of an experienced engineer
- Prepare computations, specifications, and reports of limited scope and complexity
- Apply design loading to structures utilizing applicable building codes and design codes
- Design and analyze structures to meet project specific and code requirements
- May coordinate the work of drafters in the development of 3D models and 2D drawing packages
- May review subcontractor submittals and shop drawings and provide limited support during construction at project sites
- may coordinate and interface with clients and other disciplines- including design, presentations, design reviews, and training at the Jacobs office, client office, or project site
- May assist with project planning, budgeting, and cost estimating
- A combination of structural steel and concrete design is anticipated
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION The ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS of the position must relate to the DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES of the position. List each essential function under the appropriate category / categories below. Indicate approximate percent of time each essential function normally would require; this doesn't have to add up to 100% since marginal functions do not have to be listed. The primary supervisor, for which this position will report to, is responsible to review the Essential Functions with each applicant interviewed.
Unusual or Special Physical Requirements of Position
% of Time
Must be able to lift 50 lbs
- Must be able to sit at a desk for long periods of time (90%)
- Must be able to work at a computer for long periods of time (90%)
- Occasional site visits and travel may require lifting, climbing, crawling in an outdoor environment (10%)
- Special clothing/equipment and other PPE may be required during site visits (10%)
Description of Work Environment
% of Time
- Work will mainly be performed in an inside office environment (90%)
- Field work may be required including outside work (10%)
- Travel may be required to perform field work at project sites or to attend customer meetings (10%)
Equipment and Machines Involved in Work Tasks
% of Time
- Office equipment/machines
- During travel to project sites handheld equipment such as tape measures, cameras, etc (10%)
- Office equipment (Computers, fax, telephones, copiers etc.) 90 %
Criticality of Attendance
- Regular attendance is mandatory Monday thru Friday 7:30 am to 5:15 pm (100%)
- Occasional overtime may be required to meet demanding project schedules (20%)
Other Essential Functions
List other essential functions here.
Must take and pass a pre-employment drug and background test.