The Jacobs Technology, Inc., Engineering and Projects group provides technical and managerial leadership in the design, construction, and commissioning of advanced test systems and facilities for a variety of clients around the world. Our clients are in the automotive, aerospace, aero-propulsion and other advanced technology markets and represent both the private and government segments.
Jacobs is seeking a creative Mechanical Engineer with 5 - 10 years of experience in the design of mechanical mechanisms. The successful candidate will work in a project team environment to develop custom designs to satisfy customer requirements. Typical projects include wind tunnels and support equipment, rocket and jet engine test stands, automotive test cells and fixtures, and other unique systems.
Motivated by challenging tasks, schedule, and continued learning/self-improvement; talented in conceiving and creating custom design one-off solutions; proficient with best-practice implementation of commercially available componentry; disciplined with design-approach, calculation packages, analyses, reports, QC checking; able to recognize and mitigate design, safety, fabrication, and schedule risks; a team player with modesty, good articulation, and technical writing ability. Keen to develop competency with design-team leadership & task planning, inter-disciplinary coordination, equipment integration, build, and start-up procedures; willingness to grow abilities in man-hour estimates, schedules, and budgets; desire to interact with multi-office colleagues, work with domestic & international clients, and assist with the marketing/capture of new design opportunities.
Working knowledge of machine components (bearings, couplings, gears, actuators, motors, chains, sprockets, shafts, springs, dampers) and hardware, fasteners, joining, welding, materials, pneumatics & hydraulics, mechanical fabrication & machining processes, and finite-element stress analysis. Willingness to develop skills in instrumentation and data acquisition, inspection and metrology, dimensioning & tolerancing, drafting standards, kinematics, vibration analysis, impact-fatigue-fracture, heat transfer, fluids & process piping, seismic analysis, codes, safety, automation, and mechanical & electrical trouble-shooting.
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the design of machines or mechanisms (10 preferred)
- Self-directed practical mechanical engineer able to lead machine-design endeavors from concept to completion.
- Willing to provide references and able to present a portfolio of example work upon request.
- Mostly office environments (home offices and client offices)
- Occasional construction site work
- Occasional factory and workshop visits
- Domestic and international travel
- No unusual physical requirements
- Ability to access construction sites, factories, and workshops
- Occasional use of PPE (fall protection equipment)
- Occasional expose to high noise level and extreme temperature environments
Equipment and Machines
- Typical office equipment/machines
- Occasional use of measurement tools
- Occasional use of hand tools
- Photo documentation
- Necessity for regular attendance
- Occasional overtime depending on phase of project (evenings/weekends)
Other Essential Functions
Must take and pass pre-employment drug screen and background check.