Jacobs is one of the world's largest and most diverse providers of professional technical services to industrial, commercial and government clients. With revenues approaching $11billion and approximately 80,000 employees across the globe, we are continuing to grow our business every year.
We are looking for talented people to join us across the UK and Ireland to continue our focus on building relationships and delighting our clients (90% of our business is repeat business). In return we have opportunities to work on unique and exciting projects, and a stable platform upon which to develop your career.
Jacobs has an enviable reputation in the Highways UK consultancy sector as a result of a portfolio of high profile projects with clients that include the Highways Agency (HA), Transport Scotland, Welsh Government, National Contractors, Birmingham City Council, Lancashire County Council, Devon County Council and numerous other Local Authorities. Our plans to add to this portfolio continue apace regionally and nationally
We are wishing to recruit an experienced Principal Bridge Engineer to join our small established bridges design team in our Shrewsbury office, with the opportunity to also involve yourself in the major work that arises from our newly opened city office in Birmingham We anticipate you taking a leading role in delivering bridge design, assessment and project management services throughout all stages of major project development, as well as involvement on smaller bridge maintenance schemes and assessments for local authorities.
As a Principal Bridge Engineer you will be working on a variety of project types, sizes and complexities. Responsibilities will include:
- Preparation of bridge and bridge related structural scheme designs at feasibility, optioneering and detailed design stages
- Providing technical direction and mentoring to other design engineers, graduates and technicians
- Liaison with clients, contractors and third parties
- Interfacing with other Jacobs engineering disciplines such as geotechnical, highways, railways, , and environmental engineers
- You will be responsible for resolving technical issues as they occur and for the monitoring of progress of your areas of responsibility
- Organising, overseeing and if needed carrying out General, Principal & Special Bridge Inspections
- Preparation of contract documents and fee estimates
- A degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Chartered Member of ICE or equivalent
- Extensive experience in the highway bridges or railway bridges sector
- Excellent understanding of structural behaviour and detailed knowledge of current codes and standards, including Eurocodes, DMRB, SHW, and Networkrail standards
- Experience of Approval in Principle (AIP) and Design and Check certification and procedures to BD2 & DMRB
- Excellent capability of design analysis and assessment of structures using for example,LUSAS or Midas, SuperSTRESS, Archie, MEXE, etc.
- Experience of liaising and negotiating with client representatives and senior staff
- Thorough understanding of the Specification for Highway Works
- Able to produce well-presented and accurate drawings and reports
- Able to manage a challenging workload subject to change at short notice
- Capability to manage tasks and costs; and deliver programmed work on time and under budget
- Good IT skills
- Experience of motivating and driving delivery teams
- Confident with proven interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience of NEC contract preparation
- Experience of construction supervision
- Good working knowledge of different contract types and procurement options.
- Knowledge of local authority interfaces
- Health and Safety training in the Bridges Sector
We offer a competitive package which includes a Pension and Life Assurance Scheme and the opportunity to participate in our Flexible Benefits programme which offers up to 29 days holiday per annum and a range of additional benefits.
JACOBS is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.