Responsible for the design and implementation of data communications or telecommunications networks. Plans and monitors the installation of communication circuits and recommends enhancements. Manages and monitors LANs and associated equipment (e.g., bridges, routers, hubs, modem pools, gateways, etc.). Analyzes interface requirements between WANs and other computer networks. Analyzes network characteristics (e.g., traffic, connect time, transmission speeds, packet sizes and throughput). Conducts short and long term planning to meet communications system requirements.
- Active TS/SCI security clearance
- Bachelor of Science or Masters of Science degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering other related scientific or technical discipline.
- Bachelors with a minimum of five (5) years or more of progressive experience in planning, designing and analyzing data or telecommunications networks
- Masters with a minimum of four (4) years or more of progressive experience in planning, designing and analyzing data or telecommunications networks
- Must demonstrate a working knowledge of Ethernet, FDDI, frame relay and ATM, and a working knowledge of operating systems and protocols such as Novell, NT, UNIX, SNA and TCP/IP
- Must have experience with network analysis/management tools and techniques and be familiar with PCs in a client server environment
- Must be familiar with IT and long distance and local carrier management.
- Knowledge of computer languages such as C, C++, SQL is a plus
- Supervisory or project leader experience is also required.
Desk/office work and test area work. As necessary, must be able to travel to other work areas, be aware of safety requirements for those areas, and work within those constraints. All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with Verizon safety standards.
Physical requirements are: sitting, walking, standing and use of stairs. Periodically required to lift and hold up to 15-20 pounds.
Equipment and Machines:
Computer work required. Use of calculator, printer, fax, scanner, telephone, filing cabinets, and other standard office equipment is required.
Attendance and punctuality are essential in this highly collaborative environment. Overtime work may be required in support of test project schedules or other priority assignments as determined by management.
Other Essential Functions:
Must be able to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization. Must work well under pressure to meet deadline requirements. Dress must be appropriate for the position. Must be a U.S Citizen. Must possess a valid state driver's license. Must pass a Federal background investigation. Must submit to pre-employment drug testing. Must maintain site access to the work facilities and computer systems.