The Buildings & Infrastructure (B&I) Line of Business is a global network of approximately 11,500 employees, which serves both the private and public sector. Our employees work to shape the communities we live in by creating world-class projects that transform the future development patterns of those communities. We provide our clients award-winning planning, engineering, architectural and interior design, construction and program management, and design-build project delivery. The Jacobs business model allows us to successfully service our clients, leverage our integrated services, and provide our employees with growth opportunities while delivering global solutions to our client's local programs.
We consistently receive high rankings from Engineering News-Record (ENR) in many classifications, including the categories of Top Design Firms, Top Contractors, Top Green Buildings Design Firms, and Top Transportation Companies.
Working in concert with the Managing Director, Engineering disciplines, and with a direct reporting function to the California Operations Manager and the National Director of Design, the Design Principal will nurture a culture of design across all building industry related disciplines.
The Design Principal shall be responsible for managing the creative direction of all design related efforts for the Irvine/So Cal studio of Jacobs Buildings & Infrastructure (B&I). The role of the Design Principal will entail the development and reinforcement of the Jacobs Design Excellence Brand within the Irvine/So Cal metropolitan region through design, marketing, engagement in professional organizations and the proactive participation in design industry events.
The goal of this position is to participate in the establishment of Irvine/So Cal Jacobs as a recognized design leader within the real estate community, as a sought-after source of employment by the best and brightest of design talent, and as a resource of services characterized by a remarkable return on design investment.
- Responsible for design authorship and leading the design effort in conjunction with Senior level management and Operations Principals
- Participates fully in client relations and business development
- Represents the group's architectural design expertise and capabilities both internally and externally
- Provides leadership; mentoring junior architectural design staff
- Accomplishes results through subordinate design leads and other experienced architecture staff
- Works closely with senior engineering and management counterparts; maintaining and developing effective working relationships with Project Managers, Program Managers, Managers of Projects and Sector heads.
- Performs work of complex scope
- Conducts periodic on-site observation of work during construction to monitor compliance with detailed design documents
- Monitors architectural project scope development and changes, tracking adjustments to the projected project construction cost
- May prepare client project presentations studies, and reports
- Represents organization, with internal and external personnel, on significant matters
- Utilizes computer-assisted design software and equipment to prepare project designs and plans
- Periodic travel to construction sites should be anticipated
- Minimum 15-20 years' related experience in a design capacity with a focus on architecture is required
- Portfolio to exhibit a range of corporate experience as well as exposure to other areas such as science and technology, and government and education
- BA/BS or Bachelors in Architecture is required
- Architecture registration in California and the U.S. and other countries with applicable requirements is required
- Demonstrated program experience in the usage of Revit, AutoCAD, SketchUp, basic rendering and publishing programs, and Microsoft Office suite is required
- Experience in leading a design team and mentoring staff required
- Strong leadership skills to include demonstrated Project Management and design lead capabilities is required
- Strong organizational, communications (both verbal and written) skills, and leadership abilities are required, with the ability to serve a key role in client presentations
- Ability to effectively coordinate with internal architectural and engineering team members is required
- Master's Degree in Architecture is preferred
- Participation in professional organizations is preferred
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you'll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.