The Buildings & Infrastructure (B&I) Line of Business is a global network of approximately 11,500 employees, which serves both the private and public sector. Our employees work to shape the communities we live in by creating world-class projects that transform the future development patterns of those communities. We provide our clients award-winning planning, engineering, architectural and interior design, construction and program management, and design-build project delivery. The Jacobs business model allows us to successfully service our clients, leverage our integrated services, and provide our employees with growth opportunities while delivering global solutions to our client's local programs.
We consistently receive high rankings from Engineering News-Record (ENR) in many classifications, including the categories of Top Design Firms, Top Contractors, Top Green Buildings Design Firms, and Top Transportation Companies.
Jacobs Engineering Group is seeking to add a Resident Engineer to work on upcoming Construction Management positions providing construction supervision, inspection, and coordination for infrastructure construction in Connecticut.
The Resident Engineer will report to the Construction Project Manager. The Resident Engineer will be responsible for the oversight of particular construction projects for Connecticut Agency clients such as Connecticut Department of Transportation, Metro North (MNR), as well as other clients. The Resident Engineer shall supervise assigned support staff, typically from 2 to 10 personnel, ranging in discipline of Construction Inspectors, Office Engineers, clerical staff, project engineers, estimators, etc.
Primary responsibilities for the Resident Engineer Position include:
- Safety leadership;
- Construction quality assurance;
- Change management, including issuance of field change notices and the analysis & resolution of change orders requests, time impact analyses, claims and disputes;
- Issues management and resolution;
- Review and approve the contractors' construction schedules;
- Review and approve the contractors' requests for progress payments;
- Provide weekly and monthly reports on the status and progress of the contracts, including project costs and potential changes;
- Routinely notifying Jacobs and the Owner of contract progress and contract issues;
- Coordinate with third party stakeholders, including freight & commuter railroads, property owners, municipalities, code officials, historic preservation officers, and the Federal Railroad Administration as may be required in the course of supervising a project;
- Acceptance of the contracted work in accordance with Jacobs and client procedures;
- Run weekly contract progress meetings;
- Document management & control to ensure that project documents and correspondence are properly stored in the document control database/system in accordance with approved procedures;
- Audit the contractor's redline as-built construction drawings;
- Expedite contract closeout.
- Experience with Primavera Contract Management (PCM) software or other construction management related software;
Other responsibilities are:
- Attend the Owner's program meetings;
- Perform constructability reviews and risk analysis of design documents;
- Preparation of rough order magnitude (ROM) cost estimates;
- Prepare bid solicitation documents, including bid addenda;
- Review the qualifications of responsive bidders and write recommendations for award of construction contracts;
- Contribute to marketing efforts related to construction management services;
- Ensure that all work is performed in accordance with approved manuals and procedures.
- Ensure that the project is constructed and documented in accordance with the contract documents and good engineering practices;
- Ensure that the daily reports submitted by field personnel to ensure they are developed and submitted in accordance with approved procedures.
- Ability to read and understand engineering and construction documents, including construction contracts, construction drawings, specifications, construction schedules, shop drawings, field notices, change orders and requests for information
The ideal candidate for this position will also have the following qualifications:
A post-secondary degree or an industry recognized certification in Engineering or Construction Management;
Familiarity with applicable codes such as CTDOT Specifications, etc.
Experience in the construction of bridge and highways
Experience with construction work with Connecticut Department of Transportation;
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following qualifications:
15 or more years construction management experience with a background in heavy civil or railroad related construction;
A Connecticut State Professional Engineering (PE) license
Ability to traverse construction sites to review and inspect the work, in accordance with all appropriate protocols is required;
Strong communication skills and proficiency at writing contract correspondence and proposals required.
Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you'll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.