** We are offering a 25K Sign on Bonus for this position! **
Jacobs Technology is seeking a Network Designer for the Reston, VA Office.
Network Design, will write router scripts as well as network design and implementation phases. The individual will provide SME knowledge for hardware and network project. He/She will also determine user requirements and design specifications for computer networks. Plan and implement network upgrades. ; Adjust network sizes to meet volume or capacity demands. ; Communicate with customers, sales staff, or marketing staff to determine customer needs.
Other duties will include:
• Coordinate network operations, maintenance, repairs, or upgrades.
• Design, build, or operate equipment configuration prototypes, including network hardware, software, servers, or server operation systems.
• Determine specific network hardware or software requirements, such as platforms, interfaces, bandwidths, or routine schemas.
• Develop and implement solutions for network problems.
• Develop conceptual, logical, or physical network designs.
• Develop procedures to track, project, or report network availability, reliability, capacity, or utilization.
• Develop or recommend network security measures, such as firewalls, network security audits, or automated security probes.
• Estimate time and materials needed to complete projects.
• Evaluate network designs to determine whether customer requirements are met efficiently and effectively.
• Monitor and analyze network performance and data input/output reports to detect problems, identify inefficient use of computer resources, or perform capacity planning.
• Participate in network technology upgrade or expansion projects, including installation of hardware and software and integration testing.
• Prepare or monitor project schedules, budgets, or cost control systems.
• Prepare detailed network specifications, including diagrams, charts, equipment configurations, and recommended technologies.
• Research and test new or modified hardware or software products to determine performance and interoperability.
• Communicate with Sellers' to gather information about products, to alert them to future needs, to resolve problems, or to address system maintenance issues.
• Coordinate installation of new equipment
• Design, organize, and deliver product awareness, skills transfer, and product education sessions for staff and suppliers.
• Develop or maintain project-reporting systems.
• Develop disaster recovery plans.
• Develop network-related documentation.
• Explain design specifications to integration or test engineers.
• Develop plans or budgets for network equipment replacement.
• Prepare design presentations and proposals for staff or customers.
• Supervise engineers and other staff in the design or implementation of network solutions.
• Use network computer-aided design (CAD) software packages to optimize network designs.LAN/WAN knowledge, EIGRP, OSPF, TCP/IP.
***Active TS/SCI with Poly Required***
BS degree in a computer or system science discipline from an accredited college or university and fourteen (14) years of progressive, relevant experience, or an MS degree in a computer or system science discipline and twelve (12) years of progressive experience, or a Ph.D. degree in a computer or system discipline and seven (7) years of progressive experience or. Similar working level obtained through relevant job experience may be accepted in lieu of degree level education.
6-9 years of Design/Implementation, 6+ years of IP, SONET, ATM. Degree required; Firewall security experience is a must; Data Center/Cloud experience is a must.
Desired Skills & Experience CCNA, CCNP
General Office environment. The work environment is fast-paced and sometimes involves extreme deadline pressures. The nature of the work requires a high degree of teamwork and cooperation with other members of the staff as well as individuals across the Company and Customers.
Most work will be done at a desk or computer.
Equipment and Machines
General office equipment including PC/laptop, Fax, Copiers, Shredder, Printers, Telephone, and other miscellaneous office equipment.
Attendance is critical at all times. Must be able to work a 40 hour workweek, normally Monday through Friday. However, times and days may vary depending on business requirements. Needs to be available to work overtime during critical peaks and be available to meet last minute requests for overtime should the situation occur.
Other Essential Functions
Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others
Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation
Must be able to interface with individuals at all levels of the organization both verbally and in writing
Must be well-organized with the ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
Must work well under pressure to meet deadline requirements
Must be willing to travel as needed
Must take and pass a drug test and background check