Job Purpose : Design of structural systems for automotive, aerospace, and other advanced technical facilities.
Summary: The Jacobs Technology, Inc., Engineering and Projects group provides technical and managerial leadership in the design, construction, and commissioning of advanced test systems and facilities for a variety of clients around the world. Our clients are in the automotive, aerospace, aero-propulsion, and other advanced technology markets and represent both the private and government segments.
Jacobs is seeking a Structural Engineer with 0 - 5 years of experience in the design of test facility structures. The successful candidate will work in a project team environment to develop custom designs to satisfy customer requirements. Typical projects include wind tunnels and support equipment, rocket and jet engine test stands, automotive test cells, and other unique structural systems.
- Perform a variety of routine engineering tasks designed to provide experience and familiarization with engineering methods, practices, and programs
- Perform limited portions of larger more complex engineering tasks under the detailed direction of an experienced engineer
- Prepare computations, specifications, and reports of limited scope and complexit y
- Apply design loading to structures utilizing applicable building codes and design codes
- Design and analyze structures to meet project specific and code requirements
- Coordinate work of drafter/designers in the development of 3D models and 2D drawing packages
- Review subcontractor submittals and shop drawings and provide limited support during construction at project sites
- Coordinate and interface with clients and other disciplines - including design, presentations, design reviews, and training at the Jacobs office, client office, or project site
- Assist with project planning, budgeting, and cost estimating
1. Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Civil Engineering (with Structural Emphasis) or BS degree in Structural Engineering from an accredited engineering school
2. Master of Science (MS) degree is a plus
3. Prior co-op or intern experience in design or construction is a plus
4. Engineer-In-Training (EIT) or Engineer Intern (EI) designation is a plus
5. Knowledge of structural Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is a plus
6. Knowledge of International Building Code, AISC Steel Code, ACI Code, and ASCE Minimum Design Loads is a plus
Demonstrated leadership ability. Able to be a self-starter, self-motivated, and manage work to schedule and budgets.
Unusual or Special Physical Requirements of Position
% of Time
• Must be able to sit at a desk for long periods of time (90%)
• Must be able to work at a computer for long periods of time (90%)
• Occasional site visits and travel may require lifting, climbing, crawling in an outdoor environment (10%)
• Special clothing/equipment and other PPE may be required during site visits (10%)
Must be able to lift 50 lbs
Description of Work Environment
% of Time
• Work will mainly be performed in an inside office environment (90%)
• Field work may be required including outside work (10%)
• Travel may be required to perform field work at project sites or to attend customer meetings (10%)
Equipment and Machines Involved in Work Tasks
% of Time
• Office equipment/machines
• During travel to project sites handheld equipment such as tape measures, cameras, etc (10%)
Office equipment (Computers, fax, telephones, copiers etc.) 90 %
Criticality of Attendance
• Regular attendance is mandatory Monday thru Friday 7:30 am to 5:15 pm (100%)
• Occasional overtime may be required to meet demanding project schedules (20%)
Other Essential Functions
List other essential functions here.
Must take and pass a pre-employment drug and background test.