Our ever growing Rail Group are expanding.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our design teams on a number of high profile projects within the UK Rail Sector.
As one of the key members of the design team, t he Engineering Manager is a key role supporting the delivery of key projects within the Rail Group.
Engineering Managers are accountable for day-to-day engineering/technical delivery of work on specific projects. They support the technical interface between the Project and the engineering disciplines and provides direction/guidance/support to the disciplines as required.
The EM is responsible for ensuring that there is a clear understanding of the project remit, the scope is well-defined and that the budget for each activity to be carried out by each discipline.. The EM will ensure that there is appropriate dialogue between the disciplines during the project life, and, where necessary, between the different offices involved in the project. The EM will also monitor the outputs from the disciplines to ensure that they cover all aspects of the remit and are consistent with each other.
Allocation of work:
- Maintain a master schedule to allocate resources on their projects and bids
- Provide integrated teams for project delivery that aligns with competency requirements and minimises office interface
- Liaise with other Engineering Managers for additional resources and with the applicable HoD for supply chain where necessary
- Through liaison with the Heads of Discipline, seek assurance that the Task Manager is allocated to any project or bid has the appropriate expertise and experience for the role
- Liaise with the Project Manager to ensure that the office has sufficient resources to support the project
Project Management and Engineering Interface:
- Champion the consistent use of Jacobs delivery tools/processes which ensure that all parties have an agreed understanding of the project and their part within it
- Bid Strategy, Interactive Planning, Design Input Statement, Inter-office Work Agreements, and output from Client Expectation Surveys, Client Satisfactions Surveys, and (where appropriate) feedback against Network Rail's KPIs
Excellence in engineering delivery:
- Champion a culture of getting it right first time
- Support the HoDs to drive efficient design - making use of a database of standard solutions
- Support the HoDs through DRNs analysis etc to identify where training, recruitment etc is needed
- Support the HoDs and Head of Engineering is ensuring a consistent approach to engineering delivery across all disciplines / offices
- Provide engineering input into PQQs, bids and the development of momentum work on active projects
Engineering Approvals / Acceptance office analysis:
- Drive continual improvement of our deliverables by using the DRN analysis and other Client feedback to track positive and negative trends from previous months stats
- Implement improvement measures and share good practice as applicable
Maintain a master delivery schedule to focus delivery in the office, address resource allocation.
- On a day-to-day basis, be aware of delivery commitments made by each of the disciplines in the office, the issues which could adversely impact delivery, and take appropriate action to address delivery issues as necessary
- Ensure that the Rail Director and Project Manager is kept informed on delivery progress
- Maximize the appropriate allocation of engineering resources to optimise backlog utilization.
- Work closely with the office Rail Director to maintain throughput of work through prospects and bids
- Liaise with the HoDs to ensure forward resource predictions are available through the discipline capacity or supply chain
- Maintain a headcount to deliver backlog and ongoing business requirements
- Bachelors or Masters Degree (BSc, MSc, BEng, MEng) or equivalent Degrees
- Ideally Chartered Engineer
- Experience in multidiscipline design/design management
- Knowledge of Rail and able to lead and guide others in implementation of Rail standards
- Knowledge of Eurocodes and British Standards
- Ability to undertake Engineering Manager (Contractors Engineering Manager) role on Rail Projects
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunities employee and is committed to the safety and well being of all.