The Engineering & Science Services and Skills Augmentation (ESSSA) contract provides engineering, scientific and engineering technician support to NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) in Huntsville, AL. The Jacobs ESSSA Group is comprised of nine companies of Aerodyne, All Points Logistics, Bevilacqua, ERC, Geocent, Jacobs, Lee and Associates, Qualis and Tuskegee. Each company, individually and in combination as the Jacobs Team, brings strong technical capabilities and value-added management strategies to the ESSSA contract. The Jacobs ESSSA Group works across the contract without boundaries governed by the Integrated Team Management Approach (ITMA).
The Jacobs ESSSA Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GN&C) team is a high performing group executing challenging tasks to design and integrate GN&C systems for projects ranging from CubeSats to NASA's Space Launch System (SLS).
Jacobs ESSSA Group offers a partnership in which you can grow personally and professionally with the advantages of strong leadership, competitive compensation, and rewarding career paths. Come join the team whose work is destined to have a long-range effect on future generations!
We are searching for highly qualified candidates supporting various roles in the area of launch vehicle control system design, analysis and modeling. The selected applicant will work independently and in a customer/contractor integrated, collaborative team to:
- Conduct analysis for the design, development, and definition of the flight control systems for launch vehicles and spacecraft.
- Develop, implement, and maintain simulation models of vehicle dynamics (rigid body, flexible structure, Thrust Vector Control actuator and slosh), environments, and GN&C components.
- Analyze stability and robustness of the flight control system in time and frequency domains.
- Use mathematical modeling and computer simulations to analyze ascent, on-orbit, and reentry flight dynamics.
A degree in Aerospace, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field from an ABET accredited institution is required. Typically, educational requirements are the equivalent of a Ph.D. with a minimum of 4 years of experience, a Masters with at least 6 years of experience, or a BS with at least 10 years of experience.
Skills and experience should demonstrate:
- Extensive experience applying modern and classical control system design methods to complex systems.
- Strong understanding of 6DOF simulation, guidance, navigation, and control functions for aerospace vehicles.
- Experience implementing and validating detailed mathematical models of aerospace systems/subsystems.
- Experience with orbital mechanics, ascent flight mechanics, and navigation systems is desired.
- Proficiency in MATLAB, Simulink, C and C++.
Office environment. Requires ability to provide clear, concise, accurate and timely communication, both verbally and in writing (100%). Requires ability to interact professionally with co-workers, management, and client (100%). Requires travel in the domestic USA (<15%).
Requires sitting for extended periods of time in meetings with peers, management, and with our client at NASA facilities to discuss technical issues (10%). Also, requires sitting for extended periods of time at a desk to write reports and perform engineering tasks (80%). Requires ability to use stairs or elevators for access between floors and multiple buildings at NASA and Jacobs facilities (10%).
Equipment and Machines
Requires ability to operate a personal computer, a telephone, fax machine, copier, calculator, and other general office equipment (100%).
Normal workday is from 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Minimal overtime may be required (10%) to meet schedule milestones and to support technical demands of the job. Regular attendance is a necessity and adequate arrangements for delegating duties during absences are required.
Other Essential Functions
The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to make rational decisions, and to exercise good judgment is essential (100%). Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship is required.