Jacobs serves the PharmaBio, Chemicals, Refining, Pulp & Paper, Power & Utilities, High Tech and Consumer Products Industries. Our core life sciences network has contributed to becoming the largest provider of engineering and construction services to pharmaceutical and biotechnology clients and we have established ourselves as the center of excellence for Pulp and Paper facilities. Jacobs provides full-service engineering, procurement, and construction management services for both new and existing facilities, offering environmental and water / wastewater support, energy audits, and hygienic / sanitary assessments. For projects of every scale we provide design, engineering, construction, commissioning, and maintenance services that support a facility's entire life cycle.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
Function as a structural engineer by providing leadership to a team for medium sized projects, work as design engineer assisting another lead engineer or working as a single individual on one or more small projects. Use accepted engineering practices to produce mathematical models that accurately represents a structure's framing and/or foundation system and design to meet building code and client requirements. Analyze the models to produce a safe, economical design that satisfies the design criteria. Design new or modifications to existing buildings and site structures for industrial/manufacturing facilities. Work primarily involves but is not limited to steel framing, foundations of any type, walls of any type and retrofit of any type of structural element. Effort includes administrative tasks such as scope development, budget//progress measurement, establishing and monitoring design schedule and coordinating with other disciplines and clients.
- Must have BS degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or foreign equivalent. Additionally, candidate must have P.E. or S.E. registration in at least one state
- Person must be primarily experienced/focused in structural engineering and have a comprehensive understanding of the routine aspects of structural engineering principles, concepts, industry standards and their applications.
- Extensive knowledge of IBC, ASCE 7, AISC and ACI codes and specifications required. Experience in industrial/chemical/food/biotech/ manufacturing and/or refineries is preferred, but an absolute requirement if equivalent experience is demonstrated.
- Requires a minimum of 4 years experience in the design and analysis of new and existing buildings, structures and foundations with some experience successfully leading the structural design of small projects.
- Working knowledge of STAAD analysis software and Frameworks 3D modeling software such as Smart Plant Review is a plus. Ability to manage technical solutions to achieve maximum results within the approved budget is also a must. Possessing ability and attitude to recognize safety issues in design and in one's work environment is essential.
- Must have sufficient AutoCAD skills to make minor changes to drawings as needed.
- Must be able to complete tasks within established project schedule and budget constraints. Must be able to provide direction in the selection of acceptable technical solutions. Requires interaction with own and other disciplines to complete design tasks. May occasionally travel to client sites for project walk-downs and information gathering.
- The occasional site visits require ladder, stair and scaffold climbing in manufacturing and/or process structures. Must be able to respond to both audible and visible plant alarms. Must be able to tolerate seasonal extremes in temperature or humidity on site visits. May occasionally require working near hazardous equipment and machinery and exposure to noise, dust, gas or fumes during site visits; Must wear PPE, including fall protection harness at times and these items, along with routine safety training will be provided
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you'll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.