The Buildings & Infrastructure (B&I) Line of Business is a global network of approximately 11,500 employees, which serves both the private and public sector. Our employees work to shape the communities we live in by creating world-class projects that transform the future development patterns of those communities. We provide our clients award-winning planning, engineering, architectural and interior design, construction and program management, and design-build project delivery. The Jacobs business model allows us to successfully service our clients, leverage our integrated services, and provide our employees with growth opportunities while delivering global solutions to our client's local programs.
We consistently receive high rankings from Engineering News-Record (ENR) in many classifications, including the categories of Top Design Firms, Top Contractors, Top Green Buildings Design Firms, and Top Transportation Companies.
Our team is experiencing exciting growth within our established practice and we have a need for a new Electrical Inspector to join our team. This person will inspect construction methods and workmanship to ensure that contractors build roadways, bridges, traffic signals and related highway structures in accordance with plans and specifications. Perform work related to transportation engineering activities such as laboratory tests, design data collection, construction record-keeping and traffic control inspection. Employee at this level performs work independently on assignments; however, all unusual issues are referred to the supervisor.
The Field Inspector reports to the Resident Engineer (RE), and is responsible for assuring compliance with all specifications, standards, codes, and drawings. This position requires good communication (both verbal and written) skills, good independent decision making capabilities, and a clear understanding of when issues need to get escalated to the RE. This position also requires a familiarity with the MS Office software. Duties are as follows:
- Generates daily inspection report for construction activities
- Ensures compliance with the specifications, drawings and standards
- Act as the primary source of field Quality Assurance, and monitor the Contractors Quality Control processes and QC Inspection reporting and corrective actions
- Assures that the Work conforms to Construction Documents, and initiates action to prevent, stop or correct any quality control deficiencies, defective work, or deficient QC reports
- Conducts spot surveillance of all craft disciplines to assure high quality standards of workmanship are maintained
- Interacts closely with the Contractors field personnel to resolve field issues
- Provide interface with third party QA check testing activities, and relay findings to the Contractor
- Monitors bid items and tracks quantities for payment of Work
- Ensures the development and maintenance of the As-Built drawing records
- Generates Safe Plans of Action and Safety Observation Reports
- Performs quantity calculations for payment purposes
- Provides input for contract change orders, submittal responses, and RFI responses
- Bachelor's degree required
- At least 10 years of experience in construction inspection for transportation projects is required.
- Required to have and maintain a satisfactory driving record
- Ability to move up to 50 pounds is required
- Ability to effectively follow instructions; deal effectively with contractors and public.
- Ability to read and interpret roadway, structure, and bridge plans and specifications.
- Some knowledge of construction including material, methods, plans and specifications; associated safety requirements.
- Perform calculations using algebra, trigonometry and geometry.
- Able and willing to work day or night shifts and/or flexible schedules including weekends as required to support the project requirements.
- Work under exposure to inclement weather conditions.
- Personal computers and applicable programs.
- Promotes and maintains a safe working environment
- 10+ years of experience as a Field Engineer or Inspector of underground/utilities on highway or transit projects is required.
- Caltrans and/or BRT experience is required.
- US Citizenship is required
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you'll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.