Job responsibilities will be progressive, and assigned based on individual skills. Specific skills in mechanical and electrical maintenance, instrumentation, calibration, computers and networks, automotive mechanics and racing industry knowledge.
Technician will be cross-functional and expected to support all functions of the operation, including: test cell operation, verification of vehicle instrumentation quality, test vehicle installation in the test facility, installation of test hardware on test articles, general test support activities, programming of automated test procedures using wind tunnel control software, mechanical component assembly and maintenance activities.
Minimum of two (2) years college courses in engineering, automotive, skilled trade or associated disciplines plus two (2) years relevant experience. Additional relevant education may be substituted for a portion of the experience. Required skills needed for this position include:
• Vehicle mechanic: this position requires that the individual work on vehicle chassis set-up for wind tunnel testing, change tires, change shocks/struts, and install / remove any component on a vehicle. Individual must also have a thorough understanding of vehicle suspension, hydraulic systems, motors, mechanical screw devices, bearings and rotating equipment. Position requires precision level work with understanding of assemblies, mechanical fit and torque requirements.
• Fabrication: individual must have a good working knowledge of machine shop tools for building / assembling fixtures / components. (tools include lathe, mill, brake, shear, drill press and band-saw)
• Maintenance: individual will support mechanical and / or electrical / instrumentation maintenance activities
• Test Operations Controls and Data Acquisition: individual shall have working knowledge of instrumentation / controls / data acquisition enough to support wind tunnel operation and programming of test sequences (Lab View experience or equivalent is a plus).
• Computer: proficient in word processing, spreadsheets and file system management is mandatory (additional capabilities in database programing and computer networking is a plus)
• Teamwork: individual must be willing to work within a team and also take on leadership role in defined tasks
• Troubleshooting: individual shall be skilled in systematic approach to problem identification and resolution.
Customer service: individual shall have character traits and personality geared toward customer service. Individual must be a clear communicator.
Physical Requirements: PPE required includes safety glasses, safety shoes, gloves, lab coats, and occasional hearing protection - 100%
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. - 10%
Crawling under vehicles to performance maintenance and/or equipment installation - 5%
Work Environment: Inside facility - 80%
Standard vehicle garage environment using hand / air powered tools, rotating equipment, vehicles moving in & out of area, cleaning bay with slip hazards (fluid on floors)
High noise level - 5%
Equipment and Machines: Computer 10%
Hand tools (air and manual) 50%
Vehicle hoists - 25%
Attendance: Monday through Friday
Rotating non-standard shift work
Occasional overtime (may include weekends)
Regular attendance and punctuality critical
Other Essential Functions: Must take and pass a drug test and background check.