The Engineering & Science Services and Skills Augmentation (ESSSA) contract provides engineering, scientific and engineering technician support to NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) in Huntsville, AL. The Jacobs ESSSA Group is comprised of eight companies of Aerodyne, All Points Logistics, Bevilacqua, ERC, Jacobs, Lee and Associates, Qualis and Tuskegee. Each company, individually and in combination as the Jacobs Team, brings strong technical capabilities and value-added management strategies to the ESSSA contract. The Jacobs ESSSA Group works across the contract without boundaries governed by the Integrated Team Management Approach (ITMA).
Jacobs ESSSA Group offers a partnership in which you can grow personally and professionally with the advantages of strong leadership, competitive compensation, and rewarding career paths. Come join the team whose work is destined to have a long-range effect on future generations!
This position is for a Solid Rocket Engineer who will work in a highly integrated team performing project management activities supporting the Europa Lander Project Braking Motor development through the Solid Propulsion Systems Division. The Project is in the early phases of planning to develop a new motor or modify an existing one that can withstand the harsh environments induced by a mission to the Jovian system, while delivering precise performance to allow for a pinpoint landing by the descent stage.
Primary duties for the Solid Rocket Motor Project Engineer will include:
- Provide planning and integration for motor risk identification and reduction testing and analysis.
- Perform requirements trades, early-phase analysis, and development and qualification planning activities.
- Organizing test plans.
- Interfacing with Motor Risk Reduction contract POCs to monitor their progress, obtain their samples, and obtain, validate, and interpret their data.
- Sharing data and discussing with analysis personnel how to model the data's effect on motor and mission requirements and capability.
- Providing frequent technical summaries to the Chief Engineer and Project Manager.
- Identify and document customer objectives and product requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education requirements are a degree from an ABET accredited institution in Aerospace Engineering or related field, either a Ph.D. with at least 10 years of experience, a Masters with at least 12 years of experience, or a BS with at least 15 years of experience.
Significant experience with an emphasis in main propulsion system design, analysis, engine integration and development/verification testing required.
- Exhibited capability to plan and document project schedules.
- Lead requirements trade studies.
- Demonstrated ability to create timelines for development and qualification test activities.
- Experience with solid rocket motor project planning/scheduling is highly desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products such as Project, Power-Point, Excel, and Word is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
Office environment. Requires ability to provide clear, concise, accurate and timely communication, both verbally and in writing (100%). Requires ability to interact professionally with co-workers, management, and client (100%). Requires travel in the domestic USA (<15%).
Requires sitting for extended periods of time in meetings with peers, management, and with our client at NASA facilities to discuss technical issues (10%). Also, requires sitting for extended periods of time at a desk to write reports and perform engineering tasks (80%). Requires ability to use stairs or elevators for access between floors and multiple buildings at NASA and Jacobs facilities (10%).
Equipment and Machines
Requires ability to operate a personal computer, a telephone, fax machine, copier, calculator, and other general office equipment (100%).
Normal workday is from 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Minimal overtime may be required (10%) to meet schedule milestones and to support technical demands of the job. Regular attendance is a necessity and adequate arrangements for delegating duties during absences are required.
Other Essential Functions
The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to make rational decisions, and to exercise good judgment is essential (100%). Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship is required.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and employment selection decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. Jacobs does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of: race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, individuals with disabilities, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by national, regional or local law.