We are looking for an ambitious and motivated Engineer or Senior Traffic Systems Engineer to join our Central London team. This is a great opportunity to work for a global organisation within a highly experienced and industry-leading team, helping to deliver marquee projects in London and across the UK.
Jacobs Traffic Engineering discipline has an enviable reputation in the UK consultancy sector as a result of our extensive portfolio of high profile projects. Our projects involve working with various major clients in the transport industry, including local authorities, government and private sector throughout the UK and overseas. Recent key projects include Transport for London's traffic control modernisation programme, design input to the Bexhill to Hastings Link road, the M25 Junction 30 congestion scheme, Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route, Technical Advisor to Transport for Scotland (UTC/SCOOT for the Queensferry Crossing project) and schemes for Transport for Highways England and local authorities across the country.
This is a great opportunity to work for a global organisation within a highly experienced and industry-leading Transport team. The successful person will help to continue our focus on building relationships and delighting our clients (90% of our business is repeat business). In return we have opportunities to work on unique and exciting projects, and a stable platform upon which to develop your career further, with varied career prospects and international opportunities. If you are a focused, driven professional who takes pride in their work and is looking for a challenge to work within a multi-disciplinary environment on complex infrastructure projects then please apply.
Our Transport Consultancy Business
Jacobs is heavily involved in helping to transform the world's transport system to deliver a less congested, high quality and reliable service for travellers, and businesses. During the past 20 years the company's transport planning team has developed an impressive array of skills and a considerable track record of achievement. Our extensive portfolio of projects involves working with various major clients in the transport industry, including local authorities, private sector and government, throughout the UK and Ireland. We also have an extensive track record overseas proving services in Mainland Europe, India, the Middle East, South America the United States of America and Asia.
- Act as project manager, or technical lead for projects, ensuring delivery in line with budget, time and quality requirements
- Lead the supervision and control of system scheme implementation to ensure compliance with quality, design and financial requirements.
- Prepare accurate estimates for individual schemes and assessment of resource requirements for design and works programmes to meet the Client's brief.
- Provide an innovative and effective approach to all aspects of the work to ensure value engineered and environmentally sensitive solutions.
- Promote a positive attitude towards Health and Safety amongst colleagues to ensure that company polices and legislative requirements are met and due account of safety issues is taken in the traffic systems design and maintenance processes.
- A strong technical background with demonstrable experience in traffic signal control systems.
- Conversant in industry standards - TSRGD, DMRB, Manual for Streets
- Awareness of core processes for scheme design and project delivery
- Degree or equivalent, preferably in a numerical subject
- Experienced with AutoCAD, KeySignals, MS Office
- Strong numerical and analytical skills
- Understanding of CDM regulations
- Robust written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues concisely
- Flexibility to manage diverse workload.
- Ability to work both as part of a sophisticated multi-disciplinary team as well as possessing the ability to work independently to solve problems.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunities Employer committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
- Demonstrable experience in traffic control systems and specialist knowledge of aspects of the traffic control or ITS industry
- Demonstrable experience of traffic signal design and of working on wider aspects of ITS; for example SCOOT and UTMC
- Understanding of the principles of MOVA traffic control
- Working knowledge of the regulations and specifications governing traffic systems work.
- Proven ability to produce project reports in a clear and concise manner
- Understanding of traffic modelling packages, such as LINSIG/TRANSYT/VISSIM/ARCADY/PICADY
- Familiarity with key project controls with experience managing small to medium sized commissions
- Strong sector interest with pro-active approach to keeping up-to-date with technical developments and policy changes
- Experience working for local authority clients, in particular for Transport for London
- Member of relevant professional institution, preferably Chartered grade though not essential HNC or equivalent; I Eng. or equivalent