Jacobs employ some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 9,000 people in locations across the UK.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we're looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
Our Sustainable Solutions business provides a focus for advising our clients on sustainability issues including renewable energy, low carbon economies, impacts of climate change and waste and resource management. Our environmental capabilities comprise of in excess of 700 staff based predominantly in the UK, but with reach into the Middle East
We currently have an opportunity for a Senior Geo-Environmental Engineer / Scientist within our Land Quality team based in Cardiff. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
The Land Quality team provides strategic advice and innovative solutions to manage our clients' subsurface environmental liabilities and includes technical specialists in the fields of land contamination assessment, hydrogeology, and landfill engineering.
The Land Quality business has opportunities for you to join our dynamic and respected team in Cardiff. We are working on a diverse range of projects in the private and public sectors and require committed scientists/engineers to support our work.
As a Jacobs' geo-environmental engineer / scientist you will be joining the successful and dynamic UK team and reporting to the local team lead in your home office. You will be providing support and advice to the wider Jacobs business, as well as being involved in managing the projects you are involved with. You will need to raise the profile of the Land Quality team with other groups and disciplines within the Jacobs team and provide support to a range of multi-disciplinary project teams. You will lead or assist in the delivery of geo-environmental input to projects and will also be required to provide technical guidance and support to more junior staff.
Your main responsibilities will depend on specific project requirements but are likely to include:
- Project delivery
- Preparing and reviewing technical reports and deliverables
- Undertaking qualitative and quantitative risk assessments and evaluations
- Implementation of intrusive ground investigations
- Managing site reconnaissance and monitoring activities, including ground gas monitoring and groundwater sampling
- Undertaking relevant aspects of Environmental Impact Assessments
- Planning, designing and implementing remediation strategies and associated mitigation measures
- Business development
- A good honours degree in a relevant subject, and be chartered or approaching chartered status with a relevant professional body (e.g. Geological Society of London, CIWEM, CIEH, ICE).
- Post-graduate experience including a good foundation in site work including planning and overseeing site investigation, logging, monitoring and borehole testing and ground gas evaluation. Good all-round technical expertise in geo-environmental engineering including contaminated land or landfill,
- The ability to progress projects from inception to closure.
- The ability to produce well-presented and accurate reports.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as part of a large multi-disciplinary team as well as supporting teams in your area of expertise with the confidence of those working above and below you.
- A team player, capable of developing a network of contacts with clients and within the wider Jacobs team.
- Willing to work away from your base office, with a high level of personal responsibility and an adaptable and flexible approach to a range of project requirements.
- Commercial awareness.
- Experience of infrastructure projects in the highways, rail and water sectors
- Experience of work on defence and nuclear sites
- Experience of hydrogeology
- Experience of project management
- Experience of business development
We offer flexible working, a wealth of opportunities to work on prestigious national and international projects, line management opportunities, flexible career paths, internal training including APM accredited project management training, mentoring for Chartership and planned career development.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.