The Buildings & Infrastructure Line of Business is a global network of employees, which serves both the private and public sector. Our employees work to shape the communities we live in by creating world-class projects that transform the future development patterns of those communities. We provide our clients award-winning planning, engineering, architectural and interior design, construction and program management, and design-build project delivery. The Jacobs business model allows us to successfully service our clients, leverage our integrated services, and provide our employees with growth opportunities while delivering global solutions to our client's local programs.
We consistently receive high rankings from Engineering News-Record (ENR) in many classifications, including the categories of Top Design Firms, Top Contractors, Top Green Buildings Design Firms, and Top Transportation Companies.
This position has primary responsibility to represent the client for the purpose of managing a construction project(s). The work assignment is on the project site and is the primary contact of the owner with the prime contractor, local residents and business owners and utility owners both public and private. The Resident Engineer is also responsible to guide and direct field engineering staff that is present to assist in managing the contract between the owner and the prime contractor. Duties include; being the onsite expert in both contract execution and technical resource. Other duties include making recommendation to the client for progress payment to the prime contractor by the owner. This position is also responsible to maintain all project records including correspondence progress documentation, evidence of inspection, change orders and final "as built" project plans.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Resident Engineer roles and responsibilities:
- Act as primary contact on behalf of the client with the contractor.
- Manage and direct field staff on the site assisting the Resident Engineers in the administration of the construction contract(s).
- Mentor and guide CEI staff.
- Provide timely and accurate responses to the client
- Perform project management activities per established procedures established by the client.
- Manage project documentation.
- Make recommendation to client for progress payment to the contractor per the terms of the contract documents.
- Manage contract schedule.
- Adhere to the Jacobs QCP.
- Confirm that the CEI staff has been provided proper and adequate PPE to perform their assigned work safely.
- The Resident Engineer responsibilities are specifically defined by the scope of services as negotiated with the client and documented in the formal contract scope of services.
- To perform quality control for the rehabilitation of bridge decks, general site work, maintenance and protection of traffic, drainage, earthwork, paving, concrete work, reinforcement steel placement, utility relocation work, coordination and safety.
- Able to read contract documents and construction plans.
- Responsible for field construction efforts, construction sequencing, cost, scheduling and performance decisions.
- Assure that proper document control, quality assurance documentation and construction project records are kept.
- Assure quality and uniformity in the records of various contracts in the overall program.
• BS in engineering or scientific discipline, or equivalent.
• Minimum 15 years related experience, including construction bridge (rehabilitation & new) and roadway (earthwork, sub base, concrete and asphalt pavement, drainage, lighting, guiderail and striping for rehabilitation / new) inspection and maintenance and protection of traffic for day and nighttime operations.
• Current and valid Illinois PE license is require
• Current IDOT Document of Quantities Certificate is required
• IDOT and Illinois Tollway project experience is preferred
• Valid Driver's license is required
• Experience with being responsible for oversight/coordination of inspection staff is required
• Strong PC skills and Microsoft Office experience is required
• e-Builder experience is preferred
• Strong time management skills and attention to detail is required
• Excellent organizational skills is required