JACOBS is one of the world's largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services. We offer a full-spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients across many sectors. It is a leading service provider in planning and environmental consultancy and advice, supporting projects at all stages from initial conception through to construction and maintenance, across the UK and internationally.
Our Town Planning team is part of the Environmental Services Group, which is within the Sustainable Solutions business - a unit with approximately 700 professionals covering over 30 disciplines. Jacobs therefore provides one of the largest and most technically diverse capabilities in the planning and environmental sector.
Our work of providing Planning services is of critical importance to our clients, local communities and industry, ensuring that major projects can proceed to successful planning outcomes, whilst utilising best practice and creative approaches to problem solving. Our Planning discipline currently comprises more than 20 Town Planners based in key strategic locations across the UK, providing technical support to a wide range of development projects especially large infrastructure and public building schemes. This team continues to grow in line with increases in workload.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Working as part of the planning team to deliver a range of planning projects. This will include working alongside and potentially project managing other disciplines as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Writing and reviewing planning deliverables to a very high standard. This includes high level options appraisals, preparing and reviewing documents for planning applications or development consent orders, and planning policy preparation and advice.
- Project managing and co-ordinating the preparation of planning applications Identifying potential health and safety hazards of specific projects and demonstrating a commitment to your own safety and that of those around you.
- Helping with or leading on the preparation of work proposals and work specifications.
- Communicating and liaising effectively with colleagues.
- Supporting additional work opportunities to the Planning team through building strong relationships with our existing internal and external client base;;
- Thinking both creatively and logically to resolve design and development problems.
- Where appropriate, responsibility for the financial monitoring of projects, document control, progress reporting and other project management tasks.
- A good degree qualification in a relevant planning (RTPI accredited) or related degree.
- Chartered Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute (MRTPI).
- Recent development management or development planning experience in public or private sectors.
- Project management of town planning and related environmental assessments as part of TCPA or DCO applications
- An excellent understanding of current town planning issues and the town planning process especially with regard to major development schemes and infrastructure projects;
- Strong technical ability preferably with experience in planning policy, planning applications and related areas including EIA and other Impact Assessments.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Strong organisational and numerical skills.
- Strong team working capabilities.
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to apply knowledge to practical situations.
- A focus on results and project delivery.
- Commercial focus.
- Recent experience of working on development or infrastructure projects in Greater London.
- The candidate should be willing to work out of other JACOBS' offices in the UK as required.
- Have the flexibility to work in other disciplines related to planning, in particular an interest or experience of working in one or more of the following: Strategic Environmental Assessment, public consultation, socio-economic assessment or master planning.
Join JACOBS, one of the most admired companies in the industry. What sets us apart is our absolute belief in the power of our people and our Beyond Zero initiative, which instils a 'Culture of Caring' for staff in everything they do.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.