Jacobs employ some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 9,000 people in locations across the UK.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we're looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
Within our Energy, Waste & Water (EWW) Business Unit team we have a vacancy for a Principal Civil Engineer working within a matrix engineering environment reporting to a Technical Director and to project specific Project Manager(s).
Within EWW our teams have a number of water & wastewater related roles working on any or all of the following project stages:
- Concept stage design
- Front End Engineering Design
- Detailed design
- Technical support and construction supervision
- Commissioning and handover
We are looking to engage the right calibre of Principal Civil Engineer to be part of a multi-disciplinary team and help drive interesting and challenging projects to completion. You would be based in our Edinburgh design office.
Primary Job Responsibilities
As a Principal Civil Engineer you could be working on water and/or wastewater treatment projects as well as clean water and sewage transfer systems.
Responsibilities likely to include:
- Be responsible for the delivery of a wide range of engineering and projects.
- Undertaking checking of design deliverables/outputs.
- Setting & maintaining standards for technical quality ensuring designs meet Client specification.
- Assisting or leading multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Leading a civil design team to complete scopes of work within agreed time frames.
- Working with project managers and other design team members in an integrated approach.
- Working to meet Health and Safety and overall project quality objectives.
- Ensuring project financial performance within civil discipline budget on projects.
- Developing and maintaining excellent relationships with the other Jacobs discipline leads on projects.
- Mentoring & developing graduate, Engineers & Senior Engineers within the civil engineering function.
- Chartered Engineer (ideally ICE / CIWEM)
- Extensive experience in the design of water or wastewater treatment plant and clean water and sewage transfer systems and pumping systems
- Experience of working with British Standards, Eurocodes and knowledge of relevant design guides.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with client and other project team members
- Excellent communication skills, including written work.
- Significant experience in working within the UK water industry.
- Significant demonstrable experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary project team to deliver civil engineering projects.
- Significant demonstrable experience in leading the civil design of medium or large projects.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with client and other project team members.
- Experience of leading a successful team of engineers including technicians and design engineers and will be familiar with current industry best practice.
- Working knowledge of NEC Engineering and Construction Contract and Professional Services Contracts
- Water/Wastewater treatment plant hydraulic design.
- Experience of working with Contractor on Design and Build Projects
- Experience of operating as an ICE Mentor and/or SCE.
- A confident driver with full license
- Flexibility in terms of travel (UK and international)
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and well being of all.