Jacobs employ some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 9,000 people in locations across the UK.
Our Sustainable Solutions business provides a focus for advising our clients on sustainability issues including renewable energy, low carbon economies, impacts of climate change and waste and resource management. Our environmental capabilities comprise of in excess of 700 staff based predominantly in the UK, but with reach into the Middle East.
To meet our growing UK business needs and future development aspirations we are looking for a Socio-Economist-Technical Director.
The Social, Economics and Policy team at Jacobs is spread throughout the UK and sit within the Sustainable Solutions business. The team undertake consultancy work for both international and UK-based public and private sector clients, covering research projects to inform policy development along with socio-economic appraisal to inform decision making at all levels; policy, plans and projects. We work closely with colleagues across the company to ensure an integrated approach to sustainability is applied on all projects.
We now have a specific vacancy within our team for a lead consultant on socio-economic assessment. We are looking for an experienced socio-economic consultant to join the team in the position of Technical Director. Specific proven experience, both UK and international, is a basic requirement of this position.
The location of this role is negotiable. Jacobs Sustainable Solutions has offices in a number of major cities, including London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dublin. The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Act as head of discipline for socio-economic analysis across the UK and Ireland, and Internationally as demand requires.
- Deliver best practice socio-economic consultancy services across a wide range of sectors and geographies.
- Project manage bespoke projects or support Environmental Impact Assessment project managers in monitoring project financial performance and developing client relationships
- Write and review client reports
- Present analysis to clients and internal teams
- Develop and grow the existing skill of the team in relation to socio-economics
- Contribute more widely to developing the Social, Economics and Policy team by contributing to proposals and marketing initiatives.
- Experience in delivering socio-economic assessments which have been through formal planning processes (including public enquiry) and of acting in an expert witness role. Ideally this experience will be both UK and international based
- Strong academic training record
- Familiarity with international best practice on socio-economic assessment, including to IFC/World Bank and/or Equator Principles standards
- Experience and interest in developing business opportunities
- Strong analytical skills and financial literacy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively in teams to tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence when interacting with others
- The successful applicant will have relevant experience in the provision of socio-economic advice combined with the desire and drive and work in a dynamic and high profile environment.
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you'll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.
Jacobs is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the safety and well-being of all.