Our Sustainable Solutions business provides a focus for advising our clients on sustainability issues including renewable energy, low carbon economies, impacts of climate change and waste and resource management. Our environmental capabilities comprise of in excess of 600 staff based predominantly in the UK and Republic of Ireland.
To meet our growing UK business needs and future development aspirations we are looking for a Senior Ecologist in our Edinburgh office.
There are currently over 30 Jacobs ecologists primarily based in Glasgow and Edinburgh, with site teams in Inverness and Aberdeen.
We are part of Jacobs' 180-strong UK ecology team, one of the UK's largest, most dynamic and respected ecology teams. The Edinburgh team works most closely with colleagues in our Glasgow office, delivering surveys, impact assessments and Habitats Regulations Appraisals for infrastructure projects across Scotland. We work on some of the largest transport projects in Scotland, and support renewable energy clients and other industries.
There are also opportunities for ecologists to support our Jacobs colleagues across the UK and across the globe, providing expertise on projects as diverse as road, nuclear and quarry schemes in England and energy facilities in the Asia-Pacific region.
The size and diversity of our team means you'll get technical as well as career mentoring to ensure your continued professional development. At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we're looking for the most talented and passionate ecologists and field biologists to be our next generation of leaders.
The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities .
Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the Edinburgh Technical Director in project delivery
- Planning, resourcing and leading ecological field surveys
- Producing quality assured ecology deliverables
- Mentoring less experienced staff
- Supporting business development activities
- An honours degree in ecology or closely related field
- Surveying and working experience in the UK regulatory framework including protected species -- licensing
- Associate or Full member of CIEEM
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience of either EcIA or producing EPSM license applications
- Capable of organising and developing your work with minimal supervision
- Full current UK driving license
- CEnv / CEcol or eligibility for these, Postgraduate degree
- An ecological specialism
- ECoW experience
- Protected species license(s). Bat license would be especially advantageous
- GIS skills
- Working knowledge of the Habitats Directive 1992 (as amended)
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you'll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.