JACOBS is one of the worlds largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services. We offer a full-spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients across many sectors.
We are looking for talented people to join us across the UK and Ireland to continue our focus on building relationships and delighting our clients (90% of our business is repeat business). In return we have opportunities to work on unique and exciting projects, and a stable platform upon which to develop your career.
Jacobs is creating an enviable reputation in the UK highways consultancy sector as a result of a portfolio of high profile projects with the Highways agency, Contractors and Local Authorities. And our plans to add to this portfolio continue. So would you like to be a member of our exciting team?
As a Principal Bridge Engineer you will be assigned a portfolio of highway structure new-build and asset management projects of varying type and complexity. Responsibilities will include:
- Management and checking of inspection and assessment reports
- Preparation and checking of bridge capacity assessment calculations.
- Preparation and checking of Technical Approval documents. Representing the TAA at project progress meetings.
- Management and preparation of new-build bridge and bridge-related structural scheme designs at feasibility, optioneering and detailed design stages
- Management and preparation of bridge strengthening or modification designs at feasibility, optioneering and detailed design stages
- Preparation of contract documents and fee & works estimates for schemes.
- Providing technical and managerial direction to other design engineers and technicians placed under your responsibility.
- Liaison with clients, stakeholders, specialist suppliers and contractors.
- You will be responsible for resolving technical issues as they occur and for the monitoring of progress in your areas of responsibility.
- Programming schemes and works, and budget management of our fees and contractors works costs for our client bridge managers.
- Interfacing with other Jacobs engineering disciplines such as geotechnical, railway, highways and environmental engineers.
- A degree in Civil or Structural Engineering with significant relevant experience.
- CEng and MICE status or equivalent.
- Ability to apply sound engineering judgement to develop state-of-the-art technical solutions to complex bridge problems.
- Knowledge of CDM Regulations
- Ability to apply Value Engineering principles.
- Experience of chairing progress meetings.
- Experience in the bridges/highway sector
- Thorough knowledge of current codes and standards, including BS5400, Eurocodes and DMRB. Thorough understanding of SHW .
- Experience of design analysis and assessment of structures using Archie, MEXE, LUSAS, SuperSTRESS or other programs.
- Experience of liaising and negotiating with client representatives and colleagues.
- Able to produce well-presented and accurate reports.
- Capable of managing a challenging workload subject to change at short notice.
- Capability to manage own and team tasks and costs; and deliver programmed work.
- Good IT skills
- Self-motivated and confident with proven interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience of ECI or design and build projects.
- Experience of construction supervision. .
- Good working knowledge of different contract types and procurement options
- Project management qualification such as PRINCE2.
- Health and Safety training in the Bridges Sector
- Ability to use AutoCAD
We offer a competitive package which includes a Pension and Life Assurance Scheme and the opportunity to participate in our Flexible Benefits programme which offers up to 28 days holiday per annum and a range of additional benefits.
JACOBS is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.