Jacobs employ some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 9,000 people in locations across the UK.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we're looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
We currently have an opportunity for a Senior Civil/Structural Engineer within our team based in Barrow. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Jacobs Nuclear and Defence offer a diverse range of services including civil and structural engineering, mechanical and electrical building services, mechanical handling, systems engineering, and project and programme management. Our core civil and structural engineering business is provision of design and management services supporting nuclear and defence clients. This includes supporting the UK submarine fleet, designing key facilities at, for example, Faslane and Barrow in Furness, and providing design services for the Atomic Weapons Establishment. It also includes support to both existing and new build nuclear power stations. We also offer structural design and analysis, and seismic and blast engineering services, for conventional power facilities, petrochemical and oil and gas industries, the gas distribution industry, airports, and other industrial clients.
We are looking to recruit high calibre staff to support our technical delivery capability to meet opportunities in the nuclear and defence industries.
Our team at Barrow-in-Furness, whilst integral to the national organisation, has a key role supporting BAE System's local operations in Barrow. This includes providing civil, structural, mechanical, electrical and nuclear Safety Case services to the BAE Systems in support of ongoing operations and for the future nuclear submarine facility developments.
Working in Nuclear and Defence in Barrow-In-Furness you will be involved in delivering structural designs and analysis/assessment studies in a multi-discipline environment. The team includes a wealth of experience and expertise in seismic engineering, structural dynamics, finite element analysis and numerical modelling. Sharing of knowledge and learning of new skills is actively encouraged.
Our projects involve designing and assessing complex structures to resist variable and dynamic effects from earthquakes, dropped loads and impacts, vibrating machinery, mechanical handling, explosions, extreme environmental loading and fire. This requires a fundamental understanding of engineering principles and the considered application of numerical analysis techniques, for example modelling ductile behaviour, 'beyond design basis' response, soil-structure-interaction, and non-linear buckling behaviour. Also required is an understanding of how structural performance contributes to the critical safety function of nuclear facilities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Technical quality and excellence of your work and the work of those working under you
- Technical and professional guidance, support and development of more junior engineers and technicians
- Communication with clients and other design team members
- Project planning, delivery and financial performance
- Business development activities including preparation of proposals
- Adherence and contribution to business and quality management systems
- Operational and design safety, and developing good safety culture
- Broad experience in civil engineering design and construction
- Good all-round technical design expertise using British and international standards, and/or Eurocodes
- Experience in the management of preparation of drawing and project deliverables
- Good understanding of structural theory and strong analytical skills, with proven problem solving ability
- Good verbal and written communication, and report writing skills
- Ability to lead design aspects of projects including managing quality, budget, programme and resources
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, liasing directly with clients and other design team members
- Good, accredited MEng degree in Civil Engineering or similar
- Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer or be working towards chartered status.
- Experience of structural dynamics, including designing for seismic, blast and impact load effects
- Experience of assessing soil-structure-interaction
- Experience of numerical analysis software
- Experience of fire engineering
- Nuclear industry experience and experience of safety case documentation
- Experience of 3D modelling
All staff are required to obtain SC level security clearance.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and well being of all.